Intrest in FG hoods + etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intrest in FG hoods + etc.

Well I had toyed around with this idea for a little a while back, and then decided nah. But i had my wisdom teeth taken out the other day and as a result spent a bit of time not doing much, and the recent threads on the FMS hoods got me interested in this project again. So I spent some time doing some research, and I think i could pretty easily pull off making some hoods, but i don't want to go through the trouble of making molds and all if no one else would be interested.

First i would be making a few stock-looking hoods. It will cost me 200-300$ to get the first few out, with the cost of making the mold etc. If i can sell 3 hoods for $100 each i would do it, because at least it would pay itself off. I know i would have to sell a lot to actually make much money off of it (especially if you count time!!) but I'm not doing it for the $$.

I think i can make a hood that will bolt to the stock hinges, but will need hood pins (no easy way around that yet), and will weigh around 8lbs. I'm not sure how much the stock hood weighs, if anyone has one off their car and would like to weigh it i'd appreciate it!

After a few stock hoods i would consider making GTX, cowled, etc style hoods if there was interest. I also have designed a mold for fenders, and possibly vented fenders, and have a few ideas for spoilers. But i don't want to get in too deep yet!!

The main purpose of this thread is to see if there would be interest in this project. Of course i am open to all opinions and suggestions!

Thanks

(BTW, if you think this is more appropriate to "custom interior and exterior" thats fine, i just thought general discussion might be more appropriate)
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

If you generate alot of interest we will move it.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

It would depend on the quality of your product... I'm ok with paying $250 for a FMS hood... Why? Because the quality is TOP NOTCH.
      Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

^^^^ I agree if its a quality product that bolts in and lines up I'm sure you can move it.

As for making it with out pins we've been discussing that here

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
        92 GL - parts car
        97 aspire - parts car
        87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
        http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
        Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

If you could put out a decent product Nate, I'm sure that guys would want to buy the stuff. Attention to detail is the important part. If you have the ability, I say go for it. Good luck:-)
          90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
          92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
          94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
          94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

got any of your ideas on paper in sketch form or something?

Comment

my 0.02... make something FMS doesnt make. I'd like to see some drawings. I think everyone here is ready for some options.
              88' Ford Festiva
              97' Chevy Silverado Z71
              94' Chevy S-10

Comment

To answer a few questions briefly:

I'm not trying to copy FMS, they have a good GTX hood and i'm sure they have great quality. I'm more interested in widening the selection of parts available.

I think i can make the parts of good quality, I have done some glass work before just not as large, and i will do my best to make sure everything is as perfect as I can make it!

As far as designs, my personal taste is rather conservative styling. I don't really like scoops, but i do like cowls. I like DJ's FMS hood that he modded, and something like that would probably be the first non-stock hood i try. I have a few other ideas, and will consider anything that you guys think would look good. I'll try to get some designs up in the next week or two. Anything you feel like suggesting is open for consideration!

I am a full-time student and work weekends, so the first hoods probably won't be showing up for a while, but if interest is present (as it seems it is), I'm going to try to start getting supplies so i can make the first mold over thanksgiving break. i think it will be a fun project!
                ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

I think it is a great project Nate. If everything works out well, I am definately interested in a non stock hood. Just keep us updated:-)
                  90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
                  92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
                  94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
                  94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

umm not to slander FMS but the hood i dont think its top notch, it is what it is the ONLY hood out there for a festiva, when i got mine there where corners cracked and it has some wave in it, now from owning so many fiber glass mustang hoods that come out of the boxs and bolt right on with little to no modification other then painting and priming. im not complaing about the FMS hood it does have little flaws and it could be better the hood could realy use some reinforment to help wit flexing and it would be nice if they would have gel coated the underneath and beefed up where the hinges go. just my .02 the little flaws of the corners and wave are a simple fix just more prep time for the painter though by the way i love FMS ROgers a good guy but im just provign a point i think a few hoods and some tweeks if you know fiber glass and you will be golden let me know maybe i can donate some cash for the cause

Comment

Definately interested in something new and non stock. I hope you really get this going.

Comment

front and rear fender flares is what I'm gonna be tackling in the next month hopefully. But i would like to see i lower spoiler so we don't have to get them from over seas..
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Rooting for your success Nate!
                          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

defenitly try it, id buy it
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2065064/1
                            Paulbarrera12.com
                            Festiva Visualizer Project

Comment

I love cowl induction hoods also , keep us up to date Nate
                              ------------------------------------------------
                              The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                              Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                              HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                              Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                              Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                              Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                              Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                              90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                              It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Working...
                              X