Winter tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter tires?

Ok, this thread is for the members who live in Canada or Northern USA, where all season tires just don't cut it. I want to know which brand and model of 12" winter tires you are using, and your opinion about it, 'cuz I'm presently looking for winter tires, but so far I've only found one model, the Goodyear Nordic, and I would like a few options...
    The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Your choices are very limited, I found some at canadian tire that were the nordic ones on sale for 13$ each!! I think they are your best bet. They hook up well in snow for being 145's.
    1993 GL Sport

Comment

13 bucks each?!? They're on special at 37 bucks each over here!!! They are usually 44$ each...In which Canadian Tire did you see that???
      The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

If you go to a 13" you will have more options
        89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
        RIP 90LX

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket_Rocket
          13 bucks each?!? They're on special at 37 bucks each over here!!! They are usually 44$ each...In which Canadian Tire did you see that???
          ya.. they were at canadian tire here in Kingston. I don't know why they had them so cheap though.
          1993 GL Sport

Comment

Originally posted by stefan
            If you go to a 13" you will have more options
            I know, but that would mean buying four 13" rims in the 4x114.3 bolt pattern, and I intend on doing the Aspire brake swap next summer which means I'll need rims in the 4x100 bolt pattern, so it's kind of a nonsense for me, not to mention that I'm on a pretty tight budget right now; I can barely afford a set of brand new winter tires...

Comment

Those $13 special 145/80-12 snows would be great! You could probably get your money back when you sold your old set if you could get that price.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

You could get your all season tires siped. It does't matter if they are new, or old. When I lived in Minnesota, I got my tires siped, and it made a HUGE difference. Here is some info that should clue you in. http://tinyurl.com/2zqjhv
                90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
                92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
                94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
                94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

All i have been able to find are the nordics from canadian tire... Walmart use to sell some but they have been discontinued...
                  90 festiva BP/G25MR swap, spec v seats, aspire brakes, FMS springs, round headlight conversion with HID's, custom exhaust, fiberglass hood, and a whole lotta bodywork
                  BEFORE AFTER

Comment

Well I settled for a set of used (barely one winter on them) Hercules tires; got a sweet deal, 100$ (CAN) for the set. The fronts have a little wear while the rear are brand new. I tried them this week in our first real snowfall, and they're diggin' pretty good in the snow but are somewhat limited on icy asphalt, since they're made of a kinda hard rubber, but since we get more snow than icy rain around here, they'll do just fine...

Comment

I always just get all seasons. As long as you have decent tread, they do pretty well. When the snow gets deep and I have to go out, I have a set of cable chains that I put on. Then you can get through just about anything.

Comment

We can't go with a 4-season over here!!! I tried it once in like a 1/4 inch of snow and it was slippery as hell!!! The tires became hard as a rock, plus you need them sipes that winter tires have in big quantities...

Comment

Uhhh, why would they work in the US but not in Canada?? It's gets just as cold where I'm from (ND) than where you are at. I've seen many a -40 degree days. True the tires get hard, but they still work.

Comment

Working...
                          X