lowering kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lowering kit

what is the cheapest or easiest way to lower my festiva, i want like a 2-3" drop? can i just cut the springs and reinstall them on the struts?

If you want to do it right, buy lowering springs from festivamotorsport.com.
    Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
    Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
    White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
    White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
    Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
    Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
    Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
    White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

just cutting the springs changes their spring rate and force . . . I've seen it done with not so great consequences

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
      92 GL - parts car
      97 aspire - parts car
      87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
      http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
      Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva_tunner
        just cutting the springs changes their spring rate and force . . . I've seen it done with not so great consequences
        X2

Festivas past:

Current Fleet:
        Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"

Comment

The FMS springs only lower the car about 1 1/2". The other option is getting shorter, but stronger springs. Cutting them usually gives you bad camber on your wheels

Comment

^^^^ along with suspention bottom out, and broken shocks and pitched springs(meaning out of the car while driving), excessive bushing/bearing wear

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
            92 GL - parts car
            97 aspire - parts car
            87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
            http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
            Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

WELL DARN, I DIDNT WANT TO SPEDN THAT MUCH MONEY, KNOW OF ANYONE WITH SOME USED ONES FOR SALE

Comment

Inside voices, please.

Festivas past:

Current Fleet:

Comment

are festiva and asphire springs the same, or are they different? are they any other companies that sell some cheap coilovers? ground control are a lil expensive, i got the car for free and wife dosent want me to spend alot of money on it, but i want to make it cool, since i drive it every day.

Comment

like would civic coilovers or some other cars coilovers work on the festiva. just wondering

Comment

Originally posted by jacesfestiva
                      like would civic coilovers or some other cars coilovers work on the festiva. just wondering
                      Yes, you can get them to work, but the spring rates generally offered are WAY to high for our little struts.. you will be bouncing like a ricer, and probably blow your struts.. which will result in MORE bouncing... yuk.

Do it right, you won't be sorry... match a set of springs to a coil over kit, and that will be passable.

Still, it's going to be more than you want to spend, sounds like.
                      Have had 6 Festys... and counting...

My Website:
                      http://www.StanfordMotorSports.com

Car Domain:
                      http://www.cardomain.com/id/Quaddawg
                      My Garage Page:
                      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/vb...o=view&id=6724

Comment

Re: lowering kit

Originally posted by jacesfestiva
                        what is the cheapest or easiest way to lower my festiva, i want like a 2-3" drop? can i just cut the springs and reinstall them on the struts?
                        Cheapest way to lower any car is to cut the springs. That is a given. Rides and looks horrible.

Another cheap way to lower a festiva is to get aspire springs and cut them down, then the springs are stiffer, so it feels a little better than cut festiva springs. Rides and looks a little better than horrible.

Cheap Ebay coilovers will be just a little more than used aspire springs. You will bounce all over the road like a super ball after awhile when your struts blow.

FMS lowering springs. Best option so far. Look nice and lower your car 35mm. These springs were designed for this car.

Tien coilovers. Nicest option. Also most expensive. These are not needed for most people because they will not be changing the height of their car very often if never. Also when you do change the height, you should get an alignment. That cost more $$

One thing most people forget about lowering a car is that you will put more stress on your struts. Do you wonder why those civics are bouncing all over the place? They left their worn out struts in their car when they lowered it, and the struts could not handle it. Eventually they blow and then they bounce even more. If you aren't planning on replacing your shocks, do not buy lowering springs. They will ride horrible and you will blame the manufacturer of the springs, when it is not their fault. And normally brand new OEM aren't going to hold up very well to lowering springs. They weren't made for it. Buy a nice set of aftermarket struts that are matched to your springs and you wont be disappointed.

This speech was not just for you, but also for everybody else who is thinking about changing their suspension. My moto is "Anything worth doing, is worth doing right the first time."
                        The Festiva Store
                        Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

noname - You only need an adjustment if you raise/lower the Teins and leave them that way...

For example - I've seen numerous car shows where the people will lower their coilovers all the way down... it looks cooler, but the cars can't drive like that. As long as you put the coilovers back to their original height (the height that you had the car aligned at), you don't need a realignment.
                          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

^^^ That is what I meant. Thanks for explaining that a little better. Sometimes I don't explain stuff to well.
                            The Festiva Store
                            Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

thanks for all your help i will keep you posted on what happens, and get some pics of my car on here thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X