festivas in snow? advice on which car to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• festivas in snow? advice on which car to buy

First of all I would like to say it's pretty sweet that there is this large of a following about Festivas. I have never driven one or even been in one, but I have always admired them. If it makes sense, I would someday like to own one. Here is my situation:

I live in Chicago, and my only automobile I own is a 2000 Mustang Convertible. Winter is hideous in Chicago, and the Mustang simply won't do, especially because I have to park overnight on a street that is rarely (never?) plowed. Getting in and out with a Mustang would probably take half an hour each day.

I want to buy a second car for winter use. Obviously I have a long time to go on this, but it is an exciting idea for me, so here I am, getting information months before I need to.

My first choice on a car is a Ford Tempo. it was the first car I ever owned and I do miss it so. They are cheap and solid if not spectacular in the winter weather.

However, as I mentioned, a Festiva has always been a dream of mine. I figure that with it's low weight, it might suck in the snow, but it would still probably be better than the Mustang. Also, since they weigh about 1800 lbs, it would be a lot easier for me to try and push it out of the snow than it would be to move a heavier car if it were to get stuck.

Oh wise forum members, what do you think?

With the right tires they are great, they are so light they actually sit on top of the snow.
    69 Shelby GT-350, 351W, 4 spd
    97 Jag xk8 vert
    06 Mini Cooper S GP
    93 Stiva
    04 Volvo S80

Comment

Get a FWD car with a manual transmission and make sure you put good snow tires on all four wheels. Pretty much any car that fits the above description will be good in the snow.

This may be a personal preference, but I think smaller, shorter cars are easier to handle in the snow and those that have good road feel / feedback, like the Festiva (no power steering). IMO, the best winter car would be a Golf/Jetta2

And don't worry about having to push it out of the snow, just get some traction aids!
      I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

Festivas are great in the snow.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
        BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
        BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
        New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I've never gotten stuck in the snow and I live in NJ and VA. I've also never had anything but the economaster supreme tires on in winter. They have great feedback but as always it doesn't mean go out and speed, take it easy if you do, but I also suggest a manual. -Kyle
          Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Uncle Fester was unstoppable in the snow this past winter. I was able to do 35-40 mph in 14" of snow, passing stranded suv's and pickup left and right. I was only running all-season tires, and probably would have had an even easier time with winter tires. He only got stuck once in a drift over 2 feet deep.
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

When I was in high school, I drove it 15 miles on HWY 49 (NorCal) through a blizzard. The snow was super dry so it was slick. By the time I got home, there was 15" on the road (plows were trying to keep the pass open - they failed). The car only started to get funky when I tried to slow below 10mph or accelerate too fast around a corner. The car handles beautifully even with bald tires and wide tires. I got caught in the last storm on Donner last March and only had to chain up because of the steepness of the pass. The snowy drive from Reno to Truckee was fine. 45 mph but fine none-the-less. :wink: Most SUV's were sliding all over the place with and without chains. I was more afraid of them than the elements. I figure nature gives me a pass because of the minimal impact the car makes... :lol:

Comment

Working...
              X