prolong engine treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prolong engine treatment

i was in my automotive engine performance class today and we got to see a video of an expirement that another teacher did. here is the test he did becuase of what the company had claimed about how great there stuff is. you could put prolong treatment in your oil and run the engine for a half an hour. then you drain your oil out all the way and dont fill it back up. start it up and it will run for quite awhile without locking up cause it lubes so good and stays there even once the oil is out. well they were retiring a training aid (a 1980's style dodge charger with the 2.2L) and decided to try it. so they did everything and drained the oil out and started it up. they held the motor at two grand and waited for it to blow. it lasted ten minutes and fourty five seconds with no oil in it until it blew a rod. it was pretty amazing. they video taped the whole thing and it just kept going and going until it went no more. thought it was a pretty neat test and it actually backed up what a company claimed about there priduct. thought it was a neat thing to share too. enjoy
    Daily Driver: 90 Festiva 5 spd. lime green, brush guard
    Another Toy: 06 Harley Sportster 883, intake and exhaust

The question is how long would it have lasted w/o the treatment?

Some folks on here ran a B3 w/o any oil, and then added water and sand to it, for quite a while before it seized. At work (Jiffy lube) we forgot to put any oil in someones Cougar and they drove off, quite a ways down the road (miles, don't know exactly how long) their engine finally seized, and they were driving it so it was under load! the oil had been drained and a new oil filter put on so there was no oil except residue in the passages.

Most engines will last for a while without any oil, so just saying it lasted for 10 minutes doesn't seem very impressive to me. They would have to take two engines of the same type and wear, one with the treatment and one without, before that kind of a test really shows anything.
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

All those companies that sell these treatments like ProLong, Duralube and Z-Max have all been taken to task by the Federal Trade Comission, and they've all been shot down royally because they can't back up any of their claims. Some engines, especially older, looser engines, will run for some time without oil.

A neighbour of mine, and no I don't know why he'd do this, used to bring home old cars, drain the oil, and run them until the engine blew. Some Saturday mornings he'd be out there for 45 minutes revving the hell out of them waiting for them to blow.

Then he'd have the cars towed away. Weird.

Comment

Monkay wrote:

"A neighbour of mine, and no I don't know why he'd do this, used to bring home old cars, drain the oil, and run them until the engine blew. Some Saturday mornings he'd be out there for 45 minutes revving the hell out of them waiting for them to blow.

Then he'd have the cars towed away. Weird."

Everyone needs a hobby! :lol:

I recall a website where someone did this to a Chevette. They emptied the oil and I think they drove it around a pasture for quite a while before it finally quit.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I drove a '68 Dart with a 225 slant 6 around a quarry for weeks with no oil pan or radiator!!
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

somewhere on Youtube or one of those sites there is a Festiva they try to blow up without oil. It took some time.
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

yea. it was a 1990 LX too

A bunch of college kids having fun with a festiva who just laughs at them
              89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
              RIP 90LX

Comment

Working...
              X