Optima batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optima batteries

I think I shorted out my newer Odyssey dry cell.

After my brake job when I opened the hatch, a can of WD-40 was lolling around near the top of my battery. It might have hit the two clamps.

It seems to be DEAD. My older one started the car for now, but I still have my Dad's truck. Brake job seems fine, though I only drove her around the block.

I like the "no offgassing" dry cell technology, and the Optima seems to be similarly sealed up:

From the ad:

The SPIRALCELLŪ Technology and Sealed Case make this battery completely spill proof, preventing external gassing and and leaking which may damage engine components and limit battery performance.
    Here are the specs:

CCA@0°F: 800 Amps
    CA: 1000 Amps
    J240 Life Cycle: 10,000 to 12,000 cycles
    Cycle Life - 50 Cycles
    Reserve capacity: 110 Minutes
    Side and Top Terminals
    Blue Flight Leader suggested I wire up both my Odysseys to get more cranking power, but with one dead, I can't now.

How do you think this battery will do in my Festiva, mounted in the rear hatch area? I know it's expensive. Is "twice the battery life" worth it? Or even true?

Is Battery Mart the best place to buy it?

Eh, here it is from another place:

Just over twenty bucks to ship! I may do better looking around locally. Maybe Jegs.

Thanks,

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Ahhhh, here we go, from Jeg's:

Optima, RedTop, 12 Volt Batteries, Optima Battery, Battery, Red Top, 12V, Starting, 720, Cold Cranking Amps, Top Post, BCI, Group 35

This is the one recommended for a Mazda 323, the "Model/BCI Group 35."

720 CCA! Sounds like good medicine for Luxstiva. And 32 pounds, instead of what I thought would be over 40.

$140 pick up at Jeg's.

Opinions? Experiences?

Karl

Comment

I have a teacher who swears by Optimas. He says they're easy to kill if you charging system voltage is too high, but good otherwise, and they last for a long time. If you have a good voltage regulator, I'd say it's an ok purchase. 720 CCA sounds like overkill for a Festiva, but I guess too much is better than too little. I bet you could start a Festiva with two 6 volt lantern batteries hooked up in series.
      Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
      Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
      White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
      White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
      Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
      Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
      Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
      White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Axlander9289
        I 720 CCA sounds like overkill for a Festiva, but I guess too much is better than too little.
        When going for battery replacements I always go for the biggest battery that will fit.
        One in there now is 900 CCA.
        Never let me down yet.
        With good battery and starter power and grounds I agree will take a lot less thank what I'm using.
        But contacts are seldom optimal and long cable runs require more CCA!
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

why aren't you going w/ an odyssey again? the odyssey 680 weighs 16lbs, less than half of the optima. Obviously the 220 CCA of the 680 doesn't compare to the 720 of the optima, but it's not to hard to turn over a 1.6!

with the smaller battery you could stick it under the dash or seat or something too, if you don't want it in the engine bay, that way your wires will be shorter.

Well if you really need all those CCA's then i guess go for it, I need a new battery soon so i'm interested in seeing how this turns out! I don't really want to pay $120 for an Odyssey, but at 1/2 the weight and size of a $60 autozone battery its hard to pass up.

Edit: the 680's CCA rating is only 220, however its 5 second cranking power is 680, and how often do you crank more than 5 seconds?
          ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

The Festiva also uses a 35 series battery, the same as a 323.
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

Is there an easy way to check my voltage regulator? I have a digital voltmeter; would that do it?

I've had some problems with the Odysseys lately and yes, sometimes it does take more than five seconds cranking!

Yeah, I also need to go over my whole ignition and grounding system to make sure it's as corrosion free as possible.

I want Luxstiva to have a "bulletproof" startup, so 720 CCA sounds nice.

Karl

Comment

I've had an Optima in my Mustang for years....no problems at all

Comment

Just a thought Karl, check out a Optima battery for a Honda Del Sol. They are small in size, may save space and weight.
                  Brian
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                  :fish:

Comment

At all of the meets Karl , I noticed that the red car seems crank hard , like it does not have enough amps , maybe the battery was getting weak then .

I went with a 750cca battery in mine , no problem , no matter how cold .
                    ------------------------------------------------
                    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy
                      I've had some problems with the Odysseys lately and yes, sometimes it does take more than five seconds cranking!
                      care to elaborate on the problems you've been having? Just wondering since i'm considering one myself.

if it takes more than 5 seconds there is another problem besides the battery! Also, a bullet proof starting system would be a 5 spd
                      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Well I took the plunge today and bought an Optima series 35 (for Mazda 323). It has 720 CCA and weighs about 32 pounds.

Bought it at Jegs. Price was usually $140, but guess what?

Twenty bucks off coupon! Yippeeee!!

Anyone interested see if their local Jegs has the coupons, or if they're online. Might be the time to buy one.

I pick it up tomorrow.

Yes, I'll check my alternator output at the voltage regulator (should be in the shop manual how to do this, right?) and clean up some more contacts upon install.

Red Top Optima; goes with my red paint.

Karl

Comment

anyone know if there are 16 volt batteeries for festivas

Comment

Why 16v???
                            you'd fry stuff.

The amperage (cold cranking amps(cca)) are the upgrade not the voltage
                            It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

I picked it up today and have to charge it up to speed.

I only have a cheapo HF 13.5V charger to do it with. I figure I'll leave it on for two hours, which is bedtime for me today.

NEVERMIND!

I used my voltmeter on DC and found my new battery is fully charged at 12.91V.

Tomorrow I'll test my car to make sure it won't harm the battery. If anyone has any tips on this, I'm ALL EARS!

Oh, one more thing: my newer (possibly bad) Odyssey measured out at 5.7 V. Is it beyond help, or do I have a chance at charging it back up?

Thanks,

Karl

Comment

Working...
                              X