Rusting Headlight Bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusting Headlight Bucket

Hi all, I noticed that this seems to be a common problem, rust forming in the headlight buckets, peeling the chrome from the reflectors off. It's pretty annoying, plus reduces the light output and gives them an orange color. Now I don't really know how to fix it, since I'm planning on doing a round headlight conversion, but it bothers me not knowing how this is caused. Anyone???
    The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Ça ne te tente pas d'essayer de les modifier pour faire quelque chose d'unique. Pis en passant ce n'est pas normal qu'il se fasse de la rouille à l'intérieur yé pas supposé avoir de l'eau en dedans. LOL

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

Ben c'est ca le probleme; ya pas d'eau dedans mais ya dla rouille...Mais comme j'ai dit, jveux pas reparer ca car jvais faire le swap pour des lumieres roundes 7" de VW Golf...

Translation for our english friends: Maxtiva said "Why don't you try modding them into something unique? BTW you're not supposed to get rust inside 'cause water shouldn't be able to get in"

My reply: That's the problem, I don't have water inside, but it rusts anyways.But like I said, I ain't trying to fix it 'cause I want to do the round headlight swap...
      The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

They can leak around the seams. A small amount of clear RTV sealer on the seam will help seal this and prevent it from happening.
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

You don't necessarily need to have water inside to cause rust. Even humidity can cause rust on a surface as moisture sensitive as the inside of a headlight housing. The most likely culprit, if you don't have any obvious leaks or cracks on the lens, would be a bad seal around the base of the light bulb where it's inserted into the headlamp.

BTW, I had some other ideas on headlight swaps, including 5" rounds (think" BMW semi projectors) a 4 beam setup, and I'm working on a way to install true projectors using "scrap" parts. This is going to take a while.

Jim

Comment

I don't want to change the subject, but you made me think about an idea I had the other day, involving '89 323 HB tail lights, a Festiva, and lots of hacking/cutting/gluing/fitting/cursing, or if you prefer, "custom work" hehe :lol:

Comment

Yup, it'd be some work, but it's doable. If you're thinking about going that far, you may want to consider some other, more radical options. There are some interesting headlights out there that could work. Late model GMC Jimmy headlights, for example. Ford Ranger.....anything kind of rectangular. Some are even available in a projector style.

Jim

Comment

Working...
              X