body work and rust products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• body work and rust products

im looking in east woods catalog and they have body solder, which is basically metal version of bondo.

is it worth it and what the procedure to do it?

i have a few dents i will need to fill in so i may try this.

edit

changing to discuss diffrent body fillers and rust stop stuff.
    2007 Ford Taurus 23-25MPG
    1976 Chevy Silverado (my toy)
    1951 Ford Deluxe, being rebuilt

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
    http://www.aintperfect.com/

Same thing as leading your car. Tuff to get it right.
    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

ok, reason i ask is i have a few dents, and my hood on the drivers side is pitted pretty good from surface rust, so im looking for ways to fill it in. guess it will be bondo time. lol

what about eastwoods rust encapsulator? is it worth buying?

Comment

Pitted how badly? Have a welder? You can tack a weld on the small hole & grind it smooth.
        It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

pretty much the whole drivers side of the hood. hundreds of pits which i cant get sand paper into, lol

Comment

what else would yall reccomend for stuff like this?

Comment

first, Festivas are my third love... First is ol' skool hot rods (think 'The Bug'), second is 50's, 60's and 70's muscle Fords (motorcycles are mixed throughout!) I've restored a few 60's Mustangs, Fairlanes, and now I also have a Falcon. I have experience with body repair products, but I am by no means a professional or expert (disclaimer ).

body solder was the original "Bondo", if you will... used by coach builders to fill seams and level low spots on the assembly line. Polyester products were developed for the collision repair industry, to speed and simplify repairs, but at the sacrifice of durability. Plastic fillers do not last as long as solder, but modern fillers (especially those with talc) can easily last 10 years+ before they start to deteriorate and crack/delaminate. Frankly, being lazy, I tried several different "rust converters", including those offered by Eastwood. I was not happy with any of them. They form an anaerobic layer over the rust, stopping oxidation, and supposedly provide a foundation for other finishes. I've found, in most cases, if you breach the surface of the converter, you can peel it off in sheets. I had big problems with it balling up if hit with a sander. Your best bet is to media blast. It sounds expensive, but add up all the converter products you'd need to buy, then get a quote from a local blaster. My bet, they'll be close in price. With that said, I'm not only lazy, but also cheap. I sand the affected area the best I can, exposing as much shiny metal as possible. I then paint it with RustOlem Red Oxide primer. After it dries, I sand it again, to remove the red oxide from the shiny metal. Any pits, gouges or rough areas retain the red oxide, sealing the rust. I then lay down a good epoxy primer over that, sealing the entire surface. I did my first Mustang like that 14 years ago, and it still looks new. I'm learining to body solder, but still use polyester fillers extensively. The best I've personnally used is Rage made by Evercoat. Adheres well, stays mildly flexible (resists cracking), sands cleanly, but a bit more expensive than Bondo. But, you get what you pay for... Evercoat also makes thin skim-coat fillers, and both long and short-strand fiberglass impregnated fillers for larger repairs.
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

rage is where its at....nuff said
                ---------------------------------------------------
                The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                ---------------------------------------------------
                BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Originally posted by FB71
                  first, Festivas are my third love....
                  WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: LOL!
                  Brian
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                  :fish:

Comment

Working...
                  X