how dumb i am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how dumb i am

so i haven't been able to drive my tiva for a month or so now, because of what i thought was a fuel system problem. knowing that my gas tank needed to be changed, and thinking that my fuel pump had burnt up because of the rust in the tank, i was only focused on that.

well i changed the tank and the fuel pump, twice. turns out my pump was fine and the one that i swapped in, out of my partstiva, was junk.

so we get all this done, and it still won't start. we start checking things and my dad says "wheres your coil wire", it was just hanging there. we plugged it in and she started right up.

i think i must have knocked the coil wire off a month ago when i was checking the fuel filter. i never even thought to check it, i was so convinced that the problem was in the fuel system.

welcome to the car world lol weve all done similer stuff
    2007 Ford Taurus 23-25MPG
    1976 Chevy Silverado (my toy)
    1951 Ford Deluxe, being rebuilt

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
    http://www.aintperfect.com/

Comment

Doh :violent1: !!!!!!!!!!! I hate when I miss the obvious!
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

Hey, who ever says they've never done something like that is lying!
        Worse yet they're lying to themselves!
        Done more stupid stuff than I can remember!
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I've done it to my friends before. tell them a hour later hey check the coil wire.
          It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

iv lost control of my festiva on snow once (totaly my falt tho) hit the center island hard as hell and jumped it to on coming traffic then had to jump it again to get on the right side of the road... my fest wouldnt come back on and thought i totaly screwed the car up...... after about 5 mins of panicing (thinking i killed my car) it turned out to be the coil wire just popped off and thats all that was wrong..

damn wire had me scared tho

Comment

Yep, we've all been there. Glad you figured it out.
              youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Hell, even mechanics can forget some basic stuff...When I used to work at a Toyota dealership, I forgot a couple of times to put oil back into the engine after an oil change and started the car ( this usually happened at like 8:30 am; my first car of the day, while I was still half asleep), and beleive me, it's one of the best ways to wake you up, I can garantee that!!! A veteran mechanic I know once forgot to tighten one of the wheel's lugnuts on a pickup truck, went for a test drive, and the wheel came off, hit an oncoming Blazer in the windshield, bounced like a hundred feet in the air and landed in his shop's yard near his son!!! Another one of my stupid mistakes was forgettting to tighten the caliper bolts on a Corolla; the client came back a week later complaining about a rattle...He had lost one bolt ans was about to lose the other!!! But the worst I've seen cam from my collegue back at that Toyota dealer; when we plugged a can of injector cleaner on the fuel rail, we had to pinch the return hose with a vise-grip...After all was said and done, he forgot the vise-grips...One week later we had a call from the client saying his Celica burned to the ground in his driveway and he wanted to konw why... :argue:
                The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

wow rocket, you can never work on my car, lol. yeah i'm just glad that everything is up and running again, it was kinda sad seeing it just parked there for so long. people were asking where it was. and i couldn't afford to drive my chevy truck much longer, stupid gas!

Comment

Don't worry Cubstiva, that only happens in the morning when I'm not completly awake!!! I never messed up my own cars 'cause I wrench on 'em in the afternoon lol!!! And I hear ya on the gas prices; I think it's getting expensive, even for a Festiva! It used to cost me 10$ CAN for a week's worth of commuting to work, and now it's closing in on the 15$ mark...But I can't really complain, it used to cost me 10$ (of super unleaded) for two days of commuting with my '90 Corolla GT-S, and 15$ (of super unleaded again) also for two days with my '92 Talon TSi AWD...So I guess that short of having a hybrid, we can't really complain about gas prices when we're driving Festivas, 'cause everybody have it worse than us hehe!!!
                    The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

One time i installed a msd dis2 box in my hyundai by myself. Well one day the box took a dump and it would not give signal to the coil packs. I pushed the car about a mile into the nearest shop. They diagnosed everything and couldn't find the problem of it not starting. Then i remember in the msd book that they had a jumper pack in case you wanted to remove the box to send it off for repair or something or return it back to stock timing and spark. I wen't to the shop plugged the jumper pack in and she started right up. LOL i took up shop space for almost 3 days and they didn't charge me a dime.
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Did the same thing with a waverunner some one gave me. Ran one day.. the next no spark. I had left the kill switch off

Spark plug wires in the wrong place is another one. Now this is the FIRST thing I check on a rough running car, mine or someone elses work.
                        money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

one time i was pulling out of a parking lot and did a burnout and i accidently revved it to like 7K rpm and it just all of a sudden died, i thought i blew the motor and a friend came over and was watchin under the hood while i cranked it (this was at night) and he seen the coil wire sparking, re-installed and fired right up

when i first got my BP up and running i was having problems with the starter, the wire at the starter just needed to be cleaned up and when i was doin that i knocked off the coil wire and i got even more pissed at my car when it wouldn't start after i just cleaned the starter wire, i felt like an a** once i realized what happened

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I usually let my oil drip for a few minutes when i change my oil to get the all the dirty stuff I can out and there has been several time when I have thrown on the filter and filled it back up with oil without the drain plug on. Its usually right after I buy a case of oil thinking it will last me for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                            X