Ohiostiva Meet a Success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohiostiva Meet a Success!

Note: Post pics in the Photo Gallery, any extensive commentary here. Also, DJ, attach this to the "Photo" or "Roll Call" thread if you wish. I just wanted this to get a bit of extra attention.

Okay, first an admission: I was the one who kinda sorta organized this (not that much work, just taking the lead online), and I was the only one who didn't drive a Festiva/Aspire! Go figure! (I never got my Mutt started and my '93GL has bad front wheel bearings so I rented a car.)

I was also a bit late. I have a good excuse though. I was on I-76 and it turned into Route 224 for some reason. Hmm. I looked at the map and decided to "go left." As I pulled back on the road and caught up with the car ahead of me I found it was a green Festiva GL!

It turned left. I was right behind it. It looked in good shape and I figured he had to be one of us! He took another left, seemingly following an (I-76?) detour sign. He had to be one of us!

Finally he took yet another left and I wondered about the direction this had taken. Then he pulled into a driveway--and I had the good sense not to follow him in there!

I backtracked into a nearby town that was on my map and got directions to Tallmadge, OH, where we were having our meet in the Summit Racing parking lot.

The road I took into town was the one that Summit was on. I lucked out and pulled in to find at least three Festivas and one Aspire already waiting for me.

Oh, the guy in the green Festiva never arrived. Guess he wasn't one of us.

Jim DeAngelis (FB71), Brian Mccavish (25 Horseplay), "Mechanicaldj," Matt Swab (Mattswab!), and David & Wendy Townsend (new members--I don't know their screen name) had beat me there.

I hid my rental Chrysler behind a conveniently located van and went to greet these strange people (I'm just as strange, IMHO).

It was a treat to finally see Matt's rebuilt and repainted Jazz Blue Festiva with the matching BP engine. The interior was just as nice!

Jim's white '88 Festiva is named "Uncle Fester," and had the cleanest silver painted steelies I've ever seen this side of Y2K. I don't know how he does that, especially with the prodigious amount of smoke that old engine produces when pushed! Maybe smoke has rust preventative qualities? (Jim, look into this.) Oh, BTW, I looked closely at his engine and it is NOT a diesel.

Mechanicaldj also had a great paint job on his--a blue metal flake type finish. Later on I found he had also painted over the rubber strips on the sides of his roofline! While he admitted it wasn't perfect, it looked pretty good to me. The Aspire steel wheels were painted to match. Sharp!

David and Wendy had come in their Aspire SE. It had the factory 13 X 4.5" alloy wheels, large swoopy rear spoiler, and foglights. You don't see too many of these running around!

Brian had his green Festiva which looked great with it's electric sunroof and 195/45-14 Toyos. Oh yeah, and those--ahem--Cobra stickers all over the place...

While we talked, a couple more arrived.

Brad (Whittey) showed up in his blue Aspire with some nice 15" (?) wheels. Barneyblood never looked so good.

Then Nathan (Nightdweller) and a friend came in Nathan's B6T Festiva, all dolled up in functional aerodynamic and air-handling devices. Oh, and nice wheels, too. And a roll cage. And I forget what else! Impressive. Now work on those boost problems, okay? There's a Grand National out there with your name on it!

We waited and talked some more. I went in and got the red battery relocation kit I'd ordered from Summit. I also went home with a couple other parts: Matt had brought me a pair of his old hub/knuckes for me to replace my front bearings with, and Brian brought me two 165/70-12 tires in good shape for me to try out. Oh yeah, Jim brought me a pair of real life Ford Safety Glasses! (I informed him my prescription glasses were polycarbonate as well.)

Thanks guys!

The best part of this was that everyone showed up and made this a great meet.

Wait a minute...who was.....................late?

We talked until almost 2 pm (!) and we were finally about to go convoy to a nearby Wendy's when AJ finally pulled in! He had just made it.

It seems he had "met" a helpful police officer on the way over. Luckily, there were no legal consequences to this meeting--just a small "time penalty." He was driving his Aspire which had unfortunately been in a wreck the day or two before, so he had a bad booboo on his front bumper and had to ride on plain old steelies. But at least he made it!

Finally, after we had gone and come back from lunch, two other people arrived in one more Festiva: Ben & Paul were in Nehad's (not sure of his screen name) Festiva. I think they said they were from FLORIDA. :shock: It had a "Got Boost" sticker on the fender but we were informed there was no turbo on it--yet. Well, at least they made it too!

I'll let some others post and tell of their perceptions of this meet. We got a bunch of photos (one other person there was a photographer--he didn't feel it necessary to give me his name) and--AHEM--there should be more coming soon in our Photo Gallery section.

Final stats:

-14 people

-6 Festivas (including one BP and one B6T)

-3 Aspires

-lotsa fun and agreement we need to do this again

I had a great time and we WILL do this again!

"Rental Car" Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Ya it was awsome to finally meet some of the ppl from here. And to get a nice line of festiva/aspire's on the highway! Only one thing though next time I am not gonna be behind Jim ;-) LMAO allthough he was a good sport about taking the harassment about uncle festers little smoking problem. Some smoke a pack a day, uncle fester smokes a 3 quarts a day! lol sorry Jim I couldn't resist! lol Ya I know you will prolly get me back for this! lol as long as I lock my tool box, and hide the welder I should b fine! ;-) I had a great time guys anmd would deffinently do it again!!!

Comment

I'm thinking it might be good to have another one in the fall, then we'll decide what time of year to have them. I'd like two a year, but I don't want to go overboard...or clash with any other meets.

I'd like a cookout next time, too!

Oh, and maybe I should drive one, do ya think?

Karl

Comment

On the way there I saw a nice city park (Goodyear Heights Metro Park). It had places to grill out and picnic table plus plenty of parking. Only a few miles away from summit. Just a thought for next time.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
        BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
        BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
        New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

That sounds like a good possibility, Matt. We could still use Summit as a staging area and then go to the park.

In the next couple months, those who live in that area (say, within twenty or thirty miles) could scout out one or two other potential picnic sites for us to choose from. Then when the day comes, photocopied strip maps could be passed out in case someone drops out of the "convoy."

We won't have it on a holiday weekend though so we don't have heavy traffic or a crowded picnic area. Maybe September or early October would be good. Oops, here I am jumping the gun...

But I wonder where everyone else went?

Karl

Comment

I'm pretty close to Ohio. If someone from Ontario wanted to meet up with me and cruise down to Ohio for the weekend, I'd be up for it.
            * Retired Festiva-er*
            1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
            B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

confuzzled a bit.

how many people showed up including yourself? it looked like 6 but you cross-referenced their names to screennames & i'm too lazy to memorize both so yeah...how many people / cars showed up?

The one we had in maryland a couple years ago had 2 festivas (mine & simon's), and 5 members (roger, rummel, simon, me, John Jacks (PU241) (who showed up in a truck an hour later).

Wil
              02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
              00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
              05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
              93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
              96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
              93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

Well we didn;t really get seperated LOL we decided we didn't want to get run over by a semi so we were pulling some where around 80 down the high way. LMAO that group pass on the Buick was GREAT!!!! specialy since I was the last one to pass and the guy thought he would pass me back. HAHA imagine his surpirse when I matched his rate of acceleration and got side by side with him.. The look on his face was great! LOL

Comment

we should of had it at Mid-Ohio raceway, the SCCA had a meet there this weekend.

and oh yes , i did not paint over the roof rails (the rubber strips) , i removed them and applied paintable self leveling seam sealer in its place.

i also achieved 35mpg going to and 45mpg going home (not so much of a rush)

all in all it was a real good time!

pics still coming eventually

Comment

I concur! A wonderful time was had by all! Uncle Fester got about 37-38 mpg roundtrip (gasoline) and about 300mpqt (miles per quart of oil)!

I don't mind the ribbing about Uncle Fester's oil consumption habit one bit. In fact, to me, that's part of his charm.....

And AJ, you'll have to get a lot more cruel to warrant me welding your toolbox shut! (janitor)

Looking forward to doing this again!
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

now jim I was wondering how long it would take some one to realize what my nick was backwards. LOL lots of drinking went into creating it and rotten gets turned into rotin when u r really drunk LOL now don't make me take you into the arena and beat you with my lpg knowledge LMFAO ya as if! ya deffinently fun, and Jim u r a freakin riot in person! no wonder I get along with u! lol hey maybe at the next meet you can ride ur bike and saftey guy can drive his festy LOL we need more pic's posted guys! come on get em up. If there are hosting issues let me know I will host them!

Comment

i'd like to make the one in the fall if there is a second meet... keep us updated.

looks like a good time... sorry i missed it.

Pics of the Tiva
                        Pics of the Cavi

Comment

Okay Wil, here goes; I'm working from my written list:

1. Mechanicaldj
                          2. David Townsend (wd62vette@cs.com for this couple)
                          3. Wendy Townsend
                          4. Rotinaj (AJ)
                          5. FB71 (Jim DeAngelis)
                          6. 25 Horseplay (Brian Mccavish)
                          7. Whittey (Brad)
                          8. Nightdweller (Nathan
                          9. Nightdweller's friend
                          10. Mattswab (guess!)
                          11. Ben (Nehad's friend--no screen name)
                          12. Paul (same as above--both in same car)
                          13. photographer guy
                          14. Yours Truly (Safety Guy)

So fourteen folks showed up.

The cars:

1. Blue metal flake Festiva (Mechanicaldj)
                          2. Green Aspire SE (the Townsends)
                          3. Blue Aspire (AJ)
                          4. Uncle Fester--white (Jim)
                          5. Green "Cobra" Festiva (Brian)
                          6. Blue Aspire (Whittey)
                          7. Green B6T Festiva (Nathan)
                          8. Blue BP Festiva (Matt)
                          9. Green(?) with red grille Festiva (Nehad--not in Matt's posted pic because they arrived late)

Six Festivas and three Aspires equals nine Kiabuilts.

And a Chrysler Sebring rental! ops:

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy
                            Oh, BTW, I looked closely at his engine and it is NOT a diesel.
                            Of course not Karl, Uncle Fester is a two-stroke and has the classic :?: Lawnboy 32:1 fuel to oil mixture I bet my 6.5 HP B-day present smokes just as much as Uncle Fester

Originally posted by FB71
                            Uncle Fester got about 37-38 mpg roundtrip (gasoline) and about 300mpqt (miles per quart of oil)!
                            I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

^ that's what I've been telling everyone! but it has oil injection, not premix!
                              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
                              X