Blowing the brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blowing the brake lines

A little long , but please read .., for the ones I care about .

2:30 am in the morning , 4" of wet fresh snow , the roads are packed and look like a mirror .

On my way to work , I stop at McDonalds for a double cheese burger , fries and a coke .. yes I am hungry at that time , and they are open 24 hours .

I hit the brakes , not any harder than usual , and I hear POP and the pedal goes to the floor , now I know the brakes have just quit . :shock: :shock:

Talk about unexpected , in the 31 years I have been driving .. I have never blew a line .

I know I don't want to crawl under this car in the wet snow and hunt for the culprit .

I took it to a shop , not knowing what it really was , I did not care , I just want my baby fixed .
    Any other time I would fix it , but working 12.5 hours a day and my weekends off , I don't have time , especially with 1 hour of daylight , after work .

SO.. It was the drivers side front that let go , of course the hardest one .
    repaired and all bled ..$40.00 :shock: :shock:

I said is that all , you are kidding me , I gave him $50 and said I really appreciated fixing it on short notice , and having it done when I got off work .

I made a appointment for Monday to have the others done , I am not going to take another chance .
    I drive too many miles , and the wife was just with me last night when we went out to eat , it could have happened then , like 4 miles earlier :shock:

So I say to you my Festiva family and friends here , if you have a questionable brake lines , don't wait till it is too late .

I can't imagine what it would have been like at highway speeds and a car pulling out in front of me , it would have been over !!!
    ------------------------------------------------
    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

40 bucks, sounds like an outstanding price. Was it the metal line or flexible hose that blew?
    Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
    Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
    White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
    White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
    Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
    Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
    Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
    White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Glad your safe.

I had my 1st festy's drivers side let go in a target parking lot. That was a fun ride home.

Did all then line the next day. Brakes are a pressure deal. The weakest link breaks, when ever you fix it something else gives out.

I agree with pack if you have one let go or they just look bad, have them ALL replaced. Do them yourself for $25 in lines & fluid or $100 max at some repair shop

ALSO MAKE SURE YOUR E-BRAKE WORKS PROPERLY!!!!!!!
      It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Originally posted by Axlander9289
        40 bucks, sounds like an outstanding price. Was it the metal line or flexible hose that blew?
        It was the metal line , just as it makes the bend as it goes thru the inner fender , just above the rubber line connection .
        That is the one that runs under the booster , along the firewall and curves around to the fender .
        The pass side will be 10 times easier .
        HD2500 Duramax Chevy
        Z28 LS1 power 500 +

Comment

Yeh...Hose or line or maybe the banjo? A good rule of thumb for prevenative maintenance....change the hoses whenever the struts or shocks are changed. Instpecting a line is simple...pinch your fingers on the line and drag them along the lines..if alot of scale comes off..not powered rust...change the lines...normal internal pressure will blow thru the remaining thin section of line.

I bet it was at the banjo...thats the fitting where the hose attaches to the caliper...they have a copper washer underneath that leaks and can be easily salvaged...sounds like you paid for labor only?!
          Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
          The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Originally posted by packrat427
            Originally posted by Axlander9289
            It was the metal line , just as it makes the bend as it goes thru the inner fender , just above the rubber line connection
            About 1" above it ^^
            HD2500 Duramax Chevy
            Z28 LS1 power 500 +

Comment

Sorry I missed the post previous to mine....but only $40....did you see the new line or maybe just acouplin....$40....that's unbelievable!
              Joe Lutz

Comment

When I drug home Uncle Fester from under that ol' oak tree, both front metal lines were rotted thru. Replaced them, inspected the rear, looked ok. Drove him for almost a year with no problems. One evening on the way home, I applied the brakes to slow because traffic was coming to a stop on the highway (typical rush hour stuff), when I heard a POP and the back of the car nearly came around on me. Wound up splitting lanes (thank god Festys are narrow!) before getting the car stopped with the handbrake. Drove it for three more days with no hydraulic brakes before I had time to fix t!
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

[ :shock: quote="FB71"]When I drug home Uncle Fester from under that ol' oak tree, both front metal lines were rotted thru. Replaced them, inspected the rear, looked ok. Drove him for almost a year with no problems. One evening on the way home, I applied the brakes to slow because traffic was coming to a stop on the highway (typical rush hour stuff), when I heard a POP and the back of the car nearly came around on me. Wound up splitting lanes (thank god Festys are narrow!) before getting the car stopped with the handbrake. Drove it for three more days with no hydraulic brakes before I had time to fix t![/quote]

:shock: the only noise my brake sytem made is when the parking brake cable snapped...that's more @%$&'s than i have!
                  Joe Lutz

Comment

Pack,

Glad you and yours are safe!
                    Had the same thing happen to the wifes car(Red Festiva) when she came to pick me up from the airport.
                    Drove it back home 40 miles without front brakes.
                    Broke exactly where yours did!
                    Took me a good couple of hours to unbolt both front hardlines and replace them.
                    Should have, still can, coat those lines with POR-15!
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Pack you have plenty of time to fix it your self. If you didnt eat out ever day. Why didnt you tell them you forgot to leave the keys when you dropped the car off???? And where was the 4"inches at it was only a dust!!!!

2006 Chevy 2500 Duramax
                      2006 Chevy SS Trailblazer
                      2006 Factor 1 Multi Micro Sprint
                      2008 120 John Deer

Comment

Glad you're okay, Doug!

I'll be redoing my brakes in the spring. Had my M/C go out recently and I replaced it.

BTW, hard brake lines and where they connect to the hoses are the first things I look at when inspecting a used Festiva!

Karl
                        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

you all should be driving :iroc: !!!!!!

2006 Chevy 2500 Duramax
                          2006 Chevy SS Trailblazer
                          2006 Factor 1 Multi Micro Sprint
                          2008 120 John Deer

Comment

Originally posted by festivagoons
                            you all should be driving :iroc: !!!!!!
                            Sorry, I have better ways to waste money than on a POS iroc!
                            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                            '92 Aqua parts Car
                            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                            Your holy ghost will not save you.
                            Your God plutonium will not save you.
                            In fact...
                            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

yeah, I'd rather drive my car than push it! That's why Camaros have rear defrosters, to keep your hands warm while you push them!!
                              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
                              X