Parking w/ handbrake in winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking w/ handbrake in winter

Whats your guys opinion? Is it a bad idea? A friend says to avoid it.. once i did it and the drums stuck.. but i just backed up and they broke free after dragging a few feet. The reason im asking is im thinking of getting remote start... but im not sure if im asking for trouble parking with the hand-brake
    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
    RIP 90LX

Every time I park my festy I pull the hand brake,haven't had a problem in the six years I've owned it.
    Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
    99 Dodge Caravan SE
    95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
    94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
    78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
    78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
    03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
    95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
    95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
    95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

My drums stuck too so I dont use my handbrake during winter

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

If you're gonna install a remote start you can't park with the car in gear.
        From some of your post I know your car is a stick.
        Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
        99 Dodge Caravan SE
        95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
        94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
        78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
        78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
        03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
        95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
        95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
        95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

Never had a problem with my parking brake system except for one broken cable...parked my '92L outside for the first 8 years....average winters here.
          If all of the brake hardware is in good shape...it should never be a problem.
          Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
          The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Originally posted by elcamino1
            If you're gonna install a remote start you can't park with the car in gear.
            From some of your post I know your car is a stick.
            Thats why im asking about parking with the hand brake... lol i know that you cant leave the trans in gear then expect to remote start it.

I think the problem is more in the extreme cold. I didnt have any trouble with my hand brake in the summer.
            RIP 90LX

Comment

If you use it often I would assume it would be fine.
              It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

If you are going to have a shop install the remote start most shops will not put it in a standard shift car. It is too much of a liability that someone will start it in gear.
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay
                  If you are going to have a shop install the remote start most shops will not put it in a standard shift car. It is too much of a liability that someone will start it in gear.
                  Pay someone to work on my car? no way lol. Ive already installed a viper alarm in a friends jeep and a compustar remote start in a cavalier.
                  RIP 90LX

Comment

As long as your cable is properly lubed and set-up, you shouldn't have a problem. It still may get a little sluggish on occasion, but it's just stupid not to use it.

Jim

Comment

My handbrake doesn't even work so I don't worry about it.

Comment

Ya just make sure all your brake hardware is lubed up good and there isn't any water or rust or anything that could cause them to stick and you should be fine... wd-40 works good just don't get it on the actual brakes..haha...

And pretty much all the shops around here install them in manual transmission vehicles. Every system designed for a stick has a lock out so when you park you need to do ten things and then turn in a circle 3 times and jump over the car before it will work... ok so it isn't that bad... I have to put the car in nuetral, put the e-brake on , step on the brake twice, then turn off the key. The car stays running until I shut my door and then it shuts off.
                        90 festiva BP/G25MR swap, spec v seats, aspire brakes, FMS springs, round headlight conversion with HID's, custom exhaust, fiberglass hood, and a whole lotta bodywork
                        BEFORE AFTER

Comment

Aspire rear drums are much better for this! I always had problems with my Festiva handbrake, but I've not had any after the Aspire swap.

Karl
                          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I need to replace my e-brake cable but never have the time. It holds about as much as someone putting their hand on the car to stop it from rolling. Any sort of hill and I have to leave it in gear.

Comment

^- you can adjust the tension FYI
                              RIP 90LX

Comment

Working...
                              X