What tools to buy????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tools to buy????

what are the basic tools for fixing, upgrading festivas. i've used a few tools before but none of my own. i want tools that i can use to fix the basics like brakes, engine compartment and interior.

what do u veterans suggest?

8-20mm socket set, a 29mm (i believe) socket for axle nuts and thats about it from what ive experienced.
    91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
    00 f250- xlt 7.3 6speed 4x4
    88 gtx
    74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

depends how far you want to go.. you will get pretty far with a set of 3/8 metric sockets and a screwdriver. Once you start tackling the engine.. a torque wrench is a good idea for a beginner.
      89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
      RIP 90LX

Comment

make shure to buy good quality tools (i buy MASTERCRAFT) they are the best tools i have ever had, never had a complaint with them, and if you do brake them (rare) they have a life time warranty on hand tools. "you get what you pay for"

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
        1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

He's in the US, so he'd want to find the Sears "Craftsman" line of tools. Same lifetime warranty.

I had a 20 year old 1/4" ratchet that finally gave out after I abused the heck out of it. When I took it in, they exchanged it with no questions asked.

Comment

Yes - your first purchase should be a set of Craftsman 3/8" drive sockets and ratchet. If you are looking to spend a little more you can get a larger set that has ratchets and wrenches/screwdrivers in a carying case for $70-$100 (watch for sales). Thats basically all you need to do most work on your festiva.

If you get just the ratchet set it will have 1/8" and 1/4" drive sockets from 6-19mm usually, and some deep-well sockets. If you buy the kit with wrenches/screwdrivers (sometimes allen wrenches etc also) it should still have that range of sockets, with some deep wells.

thats about all you will need for starting out, between my dad and i we have tool boxes full of tools that we've accumulated over time, but a basic ratchet set, some screwdrivers, and wrenches are all you need and it will grow from there!
            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

A good pry bar and BFH is nice to have around as well.
              Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
              Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
              White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
              White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
              Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
              Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
              Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
              White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Stay away from those sets of tools....they have a major flaw....they're all 12 point sockets....big mistake...you'll strip more bolt and nuts.
                Why do the makle 12 point...because their cheaper top manufacture...1st set you should by....3/8 drive...6 point...deep wall. Sears is approx $20 9-19mm
                For the non-professional, sears/craftsman are pretty good...their by not the best but would never do you wrong.
                Also purchase a set of box wrenches (or combination wrenches) and always try to use a box wrench before a socket...yes they are slower but much more efficient in applying torque (less likely to become disengaged)
                The rest of the stuff...buy what you need only when you need it...this way you'll build a really nice selection of tools in a short period of time (also requires more trips to the toolstore!!!!).

Most of all....never look at car maintenance/repair as a chore!!!!!!
                Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

thanks you guys for the info, craftsman and mastercraft seem have lifetime warrantys

So a basic 3/8 drive , six point is best to start off with.

LoL guess iknow whatone of my exs are getting me for christmas, thnx guys

Comment

would it be a set like this??

Comment

Yeah but metric.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

oooooooooo yah, remember this stuff from auto class in high school, wish i didnt get kicked out for fighting arrrrrrrrggggggggggg

Comment

Originally posted by jglutz
                          Stay away from those sets of tools....they have a major flaw....they're all 12 point sockets....big mistake...you'll strip more bolt and nuts.
                          Dont know bout' craftsman but my monster set of mastercraft sockets is all 6pt.

Defiantly watch for sales, i got my set on sale for more than 1/2 off. It was literally came in a box, not a carrying case, its 4 trays that go in drawers, sockets both deep& shallow in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drive and both metric and standard. Combo wrenches, ratchets, drive adaptors, extensions.. and more, 250pcs IIRC. Killer deal, $150 on sale, reg price almost $400
                          89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                          RIP 90LX

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboi
                            would it be a set like this??

http://www.tylertool.com/cr932pc13drs1.html
                            That would be an ok start, but I'd personally buy a bigger set that has both metric and standard. You'll find that you will use your sockets on more things than just your car. Also, with that set, the ratchet that comes with it is quite short. You'll find out in a hurry that you'll need more leverage.

Like Stefan said, watch for sales, you can get some good deals on the really big sets. Ones with 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 sockets. It seems like you can never have too many sockets.

I'm ok with using 12 point sockets. You just have to know when it's ok to use them and when not too. If the bolt or nut is in good shape and not siezed, 12 pts are fine. If it's all rusted and corroded and already half way rounded off, then you'll need a 6 pt.

Comment

i have a mastercraft tool case with upwards of 200 pieces, plus i've loaded in a few different types plyers, different sized side cutters, small and large vice grips, needle nose and regular, knife, electrical tape, i'm probably forgetting some, but i had more than enough tools with me to swap in my BP

Originally posted by monkeyracing
                              I had a 20 year old 1/4" ratchet that finally gave out after I abused the heck out of it. When I took it in, they exchanged it with no questions asked.
                              i snapped off the end of my 1/2" drive ratchet, brought it in and got it exchanged, no questons asked

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
                              X