Car and Driver comparo featuring the Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car and Driver comparo featuring the Festiva

I have this posted on my 323 CarDomain site(not really updating it regularly since I bought my Protege back in '04, but it has a ton of BF chassis 323 articles, ads, and brochures www.cardomain.com/ride/457459 ) but they changed the images so I had to upload it again. Only reason I have it is because it has the 323 in it, but I found it interesting:

I'll have to dig through my magazines to see if there are any other Festiva articles or even print ads in them. Enjoy!

1994 Miata w/JRSC.....1988 323 SE.....1994 Protege LX
    Full Info and Pics of My 3 Cars

I've been called many things but "urban hedonist on a budget" isn't one of them :shock:
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Thats awesome dude, thanks for posting this, I love reading the old car and driver articles, especially when it pertains to a car I now own.

Comment

Festiva had the best braking
        It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Originally posted by muscle_Car1
          Festiva had the best braking
          And MPG!
          1991 L 408,000 miles+ w/NEW B3 longblock!!
          2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

I find it real hard to believe that the Civic had a 0-90 time of 25.3 vs Festiva was 50.4
            BUT the Civic 1/4 mile time was 17.3 @79 vs Festiva 18.5.2 sec @72 mph .

That makes the Civic twice as fast , but the 1/4 mile does not reflect that ??
            That shows the Civic 1.2 sec quicker in the 1/4 .

So it takes the Civic 8. more sec. to make another 11 mph .

Festiva takes 31.9 sec. to go another 18 mph .

Festiva is not that slow , Give me a break
            :roll:
            Stupid magazine drivers :lol:
            ------------------------------------------------
            The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
            Smart Passion white with H-D interior
            HD2500 Duramax Chevy
            Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
            Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
            Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
            Z28 LS1 power 500 +
            90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
            It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

They show the top speed of the Festiva as 91 mph so it seems it is topping out at that 80-90mph portion. Maybe we need to have some real world testing done by our members......anyone??
              1991 L 408,000 miles+ w/NEW B3 longblock!!
              2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

Been far past that in several stock festivas.
                youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by b3 madness
                  They show the top speed of the Festiva as 91 mph so it seems it is topping out at that 80-90mph portion. Maybe we need to have some real world testing done by our members......anyone??
                  what about modified Festivas :lol: :lol:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

6th Place! and its the lightest
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2065064/1
                    Paulbarrera12.com
                    Festiva Visualizer Project

Comment

Originally posted by b3 madness
                      It shows the 323 topping out at 101, I've had mine to 109 so far, and it still wants to go faster. Now then, with the automatic, that's all you could get out of the car because if you had it floored in 3rd, when it got to the redline it would stay in 3rd and never shift to 4th until you let off...then if you floored it once in 4th it would go back to 3rd even in the redline/at the rev limiter.

I'd like to know how these mags/manufacturers get top speed numbers...the top speed of the 1st generation MPV is shown at 110 by Mazda but we've had ours to around 115 and that was with 3 people and luggage in it. :lol:

1994 Miata w/JRSC.....1988 323 SE.....1994 Protege LX
                      Full Info and Pics of My 3 Cars

Comment

Lots of things could influence indicated top speed:

-speedo error
                        -nonstock tire sizes
                        -stock tire wear
                        -wind direction and speed
                        -large changes in air temp might affect it

Car and Driver was probably using a test machine to check speed rather than the speedometer. Then again, one of the car mags wrote when reviewing my '85 Civic "S" that the top speed was 101 mph. That's exactly what I got on my factory speedo when I checked it myself on a level freeway! Probably just chance.

Also, we should all know that individual engines in cars may come "peppy" vs. "sluggish" straight from the factory. I taught in numerous K-cars and Sundances and some 2.2s were that way.

"Top speed" and "0-60" numbers that are published by either the factory or another entity are all just an idea of "about how fast" your car will be.

I believe the UK Mazda 121 brochure I have says the 1.3 will do a top speed of 94 mph.

Karl
                        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                        X