mx-3 v6 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mx-3 v6 engine

would it fit in a festiva? it's a k8 engine, i'm not sure if it's too different from the b series engines.
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport(Sold)
    1999 Ford Mustang Gt 35th ann. (Sold)
    1993 Ford Festiva Gl(Sold)
    Looking for another Festiva

It has nothing to do with the B series engines, as it is a V6 engine and the B series are 4 cylinders. And no, it won't fit unless you're willing to do some major surgery to the whole car; heck, a BP barely fits, so as far as V6s go, you're better of putting it in the back.
    The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

A K series swap has been widely discussed, but to my knowledge, never done. It would require some serious surgery to be successful.
      Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
      Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
      White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
      White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
      Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
      Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
      Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
      White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

It is a tiny V6. Same displacement as the BP. 1.8. But nobody has done it. Bigger than would fit in the bay.
        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

The K8 has the same footprint as the 2.5 that is in the probe or mx-6. If someone were to attempt the swap it would be best to use a KLZE, because it is ~200HP versus the K8s 120, and it is the same size.
          The Festiva Store
          Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by nonamekid
            The K8 has the same footprint as the 2.5 that is in the probe or mx-6. If someone were to attempt the swap it would be best to use a KLZE, because it is ~200HP versus the K8s 120, and it is the same size.
            Like he said, you can't just think an engine will fit just because of its displacement; the K8 is basically a de-bored and de-stroked version of a KL, that's why they have the same physical size and about every external part interchange between the two. Another example of your reasoning would be to think a Toyota 2ZZ-GE 1.8 from a Celica GTS would fit an Echo because it is just 0.3 liters bigger, but in reality it won't fit without major firewall surgery and maybe even a little frame trimming; that motor is huge for a 1.8!!!
            The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

I've thought about it. I went and measured a 2.5L out of a Probe and then measured the Festiva engine bay.
              I think it will fit in the but it will be close.
              KL Engine;
              W - 25"
              H - 25.5" bottom of oil pan to top of engine
              H - 18" from center of crank to top of engine
              L - oops forgot to get that one
              Festiva engine bay - 25"
              firewall to center of engine 14"
              front brace to center of engine 11"
              Even if you have to modify the firewall, so what. So did Matt, when he put the BP in his blue car.
              You would have to use the transmission from the MX3 since the KL engines use a different bolt patten on the bell housing.
              The MX3 front track is about a 1.5" wider than the Festiva so I'm not sure what to do about the drive shafts.
              There may be enough play in them to allow them to be used in the Festiva. Or maybe use Aspire lower control arms on the Festiva. I think they are 3/4" longer.
              ~Jeff
              1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
              1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
              2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

Thanks for the clarification guys.
                1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport(Sold)
                1999 Ford Mustang Gt 35th ann. (Sold)
                1993 Ford Festiva Gl(Sold)
                Looking for another Festiva

Comment

Suppose the engine physically fits in the engine bay, did you check out if the transmission placement would allow the right axle angles (IE if the engine is too far back or in front of the engine compartment for example)?

Comment

Working...
                  X