Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHECK THOSE BALL JOINTS!!

A few days ago, I posted this in the suspension area:

I thought my problem was with my rear end.

Yesterday I put each end of my car up and checked everything. The back axle beam and bearings were fine. Nothing loose.

Up front, the left BJ grease seal looked "smooth," or "stretched out" compared with the right one. It seemed tight enough.

Three years ago when I did my engine swap, I put in new control arm/ball joints, and both had been the same brand. They should have looked the same.

I took a mallet to the bottom of the BJ and some thin grease splattered onto my hand. The top of the grease seal was wide open. I then realized the BJ was pulling out of the control arm!

I have no idea how this grease seal got opened up and ruined, but it did. I'll be replacing it with a new control arm this morning.

My car had gotten worse yesterday morning and felt really flighty on fast right turns and over freeway bumps on turns. It felt VERY loose and unsafe.

If you ever get the feeling something is loose in your suspension, check those ball joints!! The symptoms this time were different from when my BJs were bad in my '89L years ago. That time I could feel "extra steering inputs" on high speed turns. This time it felt like the rear axle was the problem.

After I get the new control arm on and an alignment, I'll confirm all this, but I'm pretty sure this is the problem.

I would not have guessed a LCA/BJ would go bad in just three years, but that's what it seems to be.

WHEN IN DOUBT, CHECK THEM OUT!! Nasty dangerous things can happen if you don't.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

hey, don't feel bad, same thing happend to me: install B6 AND new LCAs and the driver side went bad in less than 3 years.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

It was my driver's side, too!

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Tie rod end and lower control arms can look fine but be on the verge of failure.
        With the wheel off the ground....grab it at th 9 and 3 o'clock positions and shake like hell...left hand pushing in...right hand pulling out...vice versa....no play should be felt... if so...problem lies some where the outer tie rod and steering rack.
        Repeat the same for the 12 and 6 o'clock positions...if not rigid...lower control arm.
        This test assumes the strut and all of the knuckle comonents (bearings) are in good shape.
        ANYWAY....any rattle....DO NOT DRIVE!
        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

My BJ popped out of the arm going around a corner at 35 MPH a few years back on my old Festiva, front wheels went like this \ / i thought i was hitting a tree or two, very scary. ever since i have been replaceing mine when ever they get the lightest bit of play.
          blue flake 89L shaved hatch, Lowered, BP swap in progress, bobtail bumper, 5spd tranny, acura 5 spoke 15" wheels and fiberglass dash

Comment

Working...
          X