Has anybody ever Expanded Grease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody ever Expanded Grease?

I had new CV's put in the 96 Aspire last summer- they are doing fine. Only one was making noise and in the course of it all found the boot was getting torn up, but I also began to pack the CV ends with red grease, and maybe got almost another year out of them. Apparently people have been greasing CVs with needle point fittings otherwise, so I just started wondering:

Has anybody pressed grease in the CVs and then filled over them with expanding foam in the boot?

I don't think I have any need of such a thing n, but I think the grease in the CVs is a great idea especially if the bot is torn. I don't have the tools, space or ability to be changing bots even if they have half ones that don't need to have the cv's off. I was thinking last summer that plastic ties would be a nice easy way to hold the boots on and easy off then too. Someone left some really really big ones in my shed when I moved in and I've used one or two for things- they are about a half inch wide by a couple of feet long.

I should take a picture of them, butt NOOOOO!
    ttiwwp
    Last edited by harpon; 05-23-2019, 06:39 PM.

Someone has posted here they use the nylon cable ties (aka zip ties) to hold the boots on. I have greased mine by carefully prying off the metal bands and replacing them after greasing.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Auto part stores sell 2 pc glue together universal boots. If installed properly last a long time. I have used them. I repacked cv, glued boot on, and got 2 years out of it.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

When the boots tear, or have even small holes in them, they throw the grease out of the boot. That means the grease must get quite hot, and have a substantially reduced viscosity, so that it is more liquid-like.
        Expanding foam would break up with the motion in the cv/boot area, and just put soft crunchy stuff in the grease. And then the hot grease would leak back out of the boot, unless it is very well sealed some other way. Whatever you do, the boots must be well sealed when you are finished.
        Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
        Icetiva-3-race-car-build
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Working...
        X