My festiva made it into a newspaper!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My festiva made it into a newspaper!

It's pretty exciting for me anyway. This is the driving.ca article about Festivas, the cross-Canada trip we did last summer and Westiva-the festiva meet near Calgary happening this weekend. It should appear in print in a Calgary newspaper this weekend, https://www.google.ca/amp/s/driving....e-econobox/amp

nice dude that is cool

Comment

Nice
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Great article Ryan.
        I hope everyone had a great time at today's Westiva. Pictures?
        Would love to make it up there someday before I get too old to drive.

I'm leaving on a 3,000 plus mile road trip next month to Rapid City SD and then back down to Oklahoma before heading back to Charleston.
        After this trip, I will have been to every US state except Oregon and Hawaii. I've also been to all provinces in Canada except AB, SK, MB, and NL.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
          Great article Ryan.
          I hope everyone had a great time at today's Westiva. Pictures?
          Would love to make it up there someday before I get too old to drive.

I'm leaving on a 3,000 plus mile road trip next month to Rapid City SD and then back down to Oklahoma before heading back to Charleston.
          After this trip, I will have been to every US state except Oregon and Hawaii. I've also been to all provinces in Canada except AB, SK, MB, and NL.

I hope you can make it out sometime too, it would be great to have you! That should be an awesome road trip, hope you enjoy it!
          You are a lot better travelled than I am, but youll have to come to Alberta for Westiva and go through Saskatchewan and Manitoba on your way back to cross them off your list. Here is a link to the photos from Westiva!
          We will have a southern Alberta car meet happening Saturday August 24 in Kaninaskis Alberta. Its a continuation of Westiva which has been hosted by Ian Cassley for 10 years. Julian Pascoal and I are hosting this year. Meet will start at the Wedge pond day use area in Kaninaskis Alberta. We will start at 10am, have lunch there

And a photo of the newspaper article. The Calgary Herald that this was printed in claims to have a readership of half a million people a day which is pretty big for Canada

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited by ryanprins13; 08-28-2019, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Half a million circulation in really big compared to most places in the US. The Post and Courier Sunday paper is less than 100,000 and it has the largest circulation in the state. Print journalism has been declining for several years now all over.

Got back from my long trip yesterday about at about 6:30 EDT. The total mile driven was 5,351. Total spent on gas was $411.80. Highest price per gal I paid was in Hill City SD at $2.859 on 09/17/2019. Lowest price was $2.199 in Campobello SC on 09/07/2019. I used 166 gallons total and the average cost per gal was $2.48.
            Average MPG was 32.23 MPG on my daughter's 2017 Honda AWD CRV that I drover on the trip. The adaptive cruise control and lane keeping assist features were used on most of the trip and they worked great.

Added North Dakota and Oklahoma to my US States visited list... Only Oregon and Hawaii are left to add.

The Rove R2-4k did a great job of recording the trip. I downloaded many hours from it but not all. Got some really great video from the badlands and devils tower.
            Saw a lot of flooding along the Missouri River. A few Interstates had ramp flooding and there was one section in eastern SD were the water was over the interstate but there were allowing traffic to move thru the shallow flooding in one lane. Since the traffic on I90 in that area was light, it went pretty smoothly.

Only accident I saw on the entire trip was on my way home yesterday on I26 in Berkely County SC about 40 mile from home. There are sections of I26 in that area where the median is grow up with large trees. As the slowed traffic passed by I saw a mangled car down in among the trees. An ambulance and patrol car was on the eastbound median shoulder. Traffic was backed up from at least a mile on the westbound side but hardly at all on my side. Most of the recovery effort was being done on the westbound side. That section is highway is really dangerous. There are no barriers along the narrow shoulder and if a car runs off into the median it can be instantly deadly because those trees do not move when a car hits them. Several people have been killed on that section of I26, I didn't see anything in the newspaper about the accident this morning so I assume no one was killed in the accident. The trees have been removed in some sections but no work seems to be in progress now to get the several miles more cleared.

I guess my next state to knock of the list will be Oregon. Alaska Air has some reasonably priced nonstop flight from CHS to SEA so I plan to get on one in a couple of months and then rent a car and drive down the coast to Portland. Not sure when I'll get to Hawaii.. my wife wants our next flying trip to be to Ireland. British Airways has twice weekly flights to Heathrow from Charleston so we are watching for a good deal to come up on one of those.

Comment

Working...
            X