Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plan of the Year, 2019 (happy birthday to me...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plan of the Year, 2019 (happy birthday to me...)

Actually, I suppose it's the POTY for 2020, but it results from 2019

In some ways I have a convenient birthday. Falls just before the holidays - so the gifts and goodies would theoretically never stop rolling in from December 12th all the way to the immortal January second massive hangover and dietary regrets... If only, ya know?

But reality seldom cooperates, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

WELL GUESS What? I have had a mission on my books now ever since I retired to go and make contact again with a Cousin of mine that I have not seen in over 20 years. Man lives in Scranton Pennsylvania I believe, at the old family home in Clarkes Summit. It has been incomprehensibly difficult to track him down even though I now know pretty surely where he is and what all went on in the last twenty or so years. And so on...

Now...

HERE I found a 1993 that at first I thought was in Virginia somewhere that the guy (loudrango) wants to pass on to a new appreciator (and it does look sweet) for (in the immortal words of Dominic Toretto) ONE LARGE. A grand well invested in a pretty car is never to be regretted, and then I realized I mis-read:

IT is FROM Virginia.
    It's IN New York...

So how does this change everything?
    NOT!

In fact it improves it - this makes it a grand adventure class road trip, because I have to go right through Scranton PA to drive it back to Memphis!!!

But the boogeyman (if any) that stands in the way is how safe the drive is at this time of the year, or do I work out a delayed retrieval after the frigid demons of winter have stopped hunting motorists on the interstate

So the adventure begins right here and now, I have to plan how to get there, get to Scranton, and get (I-81 to I-40) all the way to the Mississipi river at Memphis with no damage...

It gets more interesting in some ways because i have to find a gap in between VA medical appointments and, umm, "things"
    But this is what I love and wanted to be doing once I retired.

SO:
    Welcome to PHASE 1:
    Mission Planning

In order to get to New York (or the moon...) from here, I need to work out how I will get THERE and when
    Sound real?

It occurs to me I always wanted to ride a train, but i'm a smoker with a dog and plants at home and I have no idea what that costs...

STUDEBAKER?
    Jump in anywhere, but lets try to be positive and constructive. I DO want this car...
    Last edited by Greywolf; 12-16-2019, 03:51 PM.
    Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Well if you want a "
    grand
    adventure" riding the bus will be interesting.

Comment

I've done that before many times, and you know what I learned?

1) Bring a small cushion that you can put between your head and the window
      2) Pack whatever munchies you need - because they are never cheap and always garbage at a bus station
      3) A bird at home is worth ten on a bus. Any Lady travelling low budget is probably getting away from something
      4) The nearest bar to a bus station is probably a long walk and is most likely a Gay bar - so you might as well skip it
      5) Did I mention bus stations are usually not in the best part of town? Be careful if you don't have a ride waiting

I usually luck out on that last one. Most people take one look at me and can sense what I have been through

I have not looked into RAIL passage, and I should. After all, why not make the most of the opportunity?
      Memphis is a major railway hub too...

* In fact, it might make sense to ship the car by rail. It's an option...
      Last edited by Greywolf; 12-17-2019, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Got a question:
        If I get in trouble on this trip - is anyone along that route from here? (the forums)

I've got a galaxy A-50 with unlimited Cell text and voice, plus unlimited internet, that is good for Canada and Mexico if I needed it.. I said I would get a thing like that before I went on the road and I finally did - so I have a COMM set that blows CB off the map

~ I guess I don't need a Magellan device either...

~This thread is all about planning and thinking to make this come true, so chime in anywhere
        I WANT THIS CAR
        Last edited by Greywolf; 12-17-2019, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Loudrango got hurt at work...
          I just found out that's the reason I haven't heard anything yet

I hope nobody minds if i post this:

(creator)
          One of ours is hurt,and we thank you that he is still alive. May healing be swift and good. May no loss happen, or if so may it be not so great that it is hurtful. And may our brother be well again and among us good as new!

AMEN

Last edited by Greywolf; 12-19-2019, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Pictures please?

PS: I found out I get carved on March 25th to 27th about
            Last edited by Greywolf; 12-19-2019, 05:08 AM.

Comment

No news back in quite a while, I wonder now what's up

Comment

Working...
              X