Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Mad House Minis" has a '91 for sale????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mad House Minis" has a '91 for sale????

I'm mentioning this due to the "import rule" that cars need to be over 25 years old to be imported. Mad House Minis has this Mini labelled a '91 for sale:

It's fifth up from the bottom. I suppose it could be a misprint, and the car does look older, but it's being repainted and redone.

Is there a way besides "off road" and "show car" use?

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Hey Karl,

We have this Grand Prix festival each year in my town. I mention this because there where a couple of mini's that where newer than the 25 year rule, and at least the one I saw had regular license plate and registration on it. Maybe there is some loop hole.

Comment

I think there's no restriction if you bring it in part by part. So like if you bring in the frame/engine/wheels/etc. all in pieces then technically it's not a whole car, and doesn't have to be older than 25 years.

Comment

Its possible the mini's I saw where old shells with all new parts from newer modles too I guess. I am pretty darn sure the yellow one I saw though had a registration that was 1996. This was back in september though.

Comment

Any car can be imported to the USA provided it meets the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and has the associated certification label attached to the the driver's side door area. This is the easiest way to import a vehicle less than 25 years old. Next time you see one of these mystery vehicles, check the driver's door jamb for the FMVSS sticker.

There is also a list of "non-conforming" vehicles that the DOT considers to be capable of being modified to meet the FMVSS. This is the "hard way" to import a vehicle. This involves posting a bond for more than the value of the car and having the modifications done by one of the few authorized shops.

More info here: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

And lastly, visiting military personell and government officials are permitted to bring a vehicle in temporarily for personal use while they are in the country.

There may be other approved reasons to see these rare gems on the road, but these are the only circumstances that I am aware of.
          I'm going to come at you like a spider monkey!
          White 1993 L plus, 5 speed - 47k miles
          * Aspire brake swap, 14" Miata wheels & Tein coliover suspension

Comment

I can imagine they are legal just for the fact that they were imported here in the 60s-70s for regular American use.
            Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
            1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
            2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
            2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Gforcefd
              We have this Grand Prix festival each year in my town.
              I can tell when I being baited!

I must ....... not ....type ...in appropriate ...material..... outside ... the ...arena .... or.... will.... be ...... Banned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Argaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! :evil: :twisted: :lol:
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

^^ Be nice John!
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment