93 b3 stalls with load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 b3 stalls with load

So first time festiva owner long time bike mechanic. Got a 93 festiva on trade from some teenagers. As I'm diagnosing what seems to be a fuel problem I ran across that someone at some recent time had replaced alot of parts (injectors, plastic bulging from pressure fuel filter, and a brand new fuel pump) but when for some reason they were installing the pump decided that the baffle was in the way and beat it down crudely and forced the pump in causing it to kink the pick up in the sock and was pushed up due to the bent baffle. Spent the good part of 3 hours straightening the baffle back out to fit new pump. Harness on my pump was different than car harness so repaired the intake on pump they had put in and thought all was fixed. Drove 50 miles from Carson city to the other side of reno on slow back highways and stopped about every 5-10 miles due to car stalling out and not wanting to accelerate. Finally get home and I install fuel pressure gauge as well as fix a few loose ends, check timing,fuel filter, spark, vacuum leaks, ground, etc. Well fuel pressure and ignition check out but car will idle but when put into gear will stutter until if eventually stalls. I did notice an adjustment screw both on TPS and IAC seemed to have been tampered with also car idles relatively well but plugs are wet when pulled. Sorry for the story but trying to get as much out as I can to possibly get more refined help.

Check your afm (box onto of your air filter) make sure its plugged in tight and the flapper inside moves freely. Also take a compression test if you can to get a better idea of your engines condition

Comment

Afm is good from my POV. Disconnected battery unplugged afm and then started the car or at least tried too and no go. Plugged back in and back to "normal". Currently dont have a way to check compression. But considering all the oil on the block certain both main seals or shot and leaning to worn out engine or head gasket. Especially after driving it home the problem worsened and now wont go around the block without dying. Thank you for the response. Also flapper moves freely on afm

Comment

This is crude but you can go around back and put your hand in the exhaust stream from the muffler and feel if it's regular or pulsing. Your description does not include checking plugs for oil but you've probably done that anyway. People write about dirty fuel injectors. You might try some chemical cleaner? Does your pressure guage do compression? If not a compression guage would be cheaper than a trip to the local garage. You might even throw in a vacuum guage. There is information on using a vacuum guage at the top of the reapir help forum futher down the home page. That's where questions like yours rnormally go.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

So to many Volvo projects and had 2 and 3 backwards based on dizzy rotation but now it's running great feel as though I'm still havi g fuel starvation while driving. Checked fuel gauge and holds around 35 which seems to be within spec and rented compression gauge all cylinders holding around 120psi

Comment

I am thinking whats wrong with my 93 is the fuel pump, your trouble shoot story helps alot

Comment

Update: P/o had installed much to large mazda fuel pump. Believe it was rich bogging and overloading the fpr. Installed an aspire pump and all is well.

Comment

Working...
              X