Hi, I'm new.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, I'm new.

Bought my first Festy the other day after falling in love with one i saw on IG. It needs plenty (muffler, body trim, complete shifter rebuild, etc) so I am hear to search and learn. It was a one owner, but spent the last 12 years of its life under a tree, so the paint feels like a book of braille. Looking forward to tinkering with this a bit. Trying to learn all I can, so feel free to point my way to anything you think I should know.

Great looking Festiva you have there. Welcome to the forum... you can learn just about everything you ever wanted to know about Festivas by searching this forum.

Some links you might like to have for you parts search:
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...esonator,10038
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...insulator,5844
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...n,muffler,5872
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...et+/+seal,5836

What year is your Festiva? Could be 91 thru 93 based on the grille. Larger crank nose was used after those build after February of 1992.

Lots of info about loose shifter fix can be found here. It's really an easy job.. so is replacing the exhaust system.

What trim pieces do you need?

You should check ebay and buy a Festiva shop service manual for the year of your festiva. They really come in handy.

Comment

Thanks! It's a '92. I bought it super cheap, but its been sitting for some reason for 12 years. Fires up and runs, but i have some issues to iron out.

Comment

Last edited by Kirk; 10-01-2020, 03:14 PM.

Comment

that is in amazingly good condition!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Replace lubricants and filtres before using. Have fun.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by lance lindenmuth View Post
              that is in amazingly good condition!!!!!!!!!!!!
              its okay. radiator is pretty dirty (like bad) smokes around the exhaust manifold, the muffler is loud, the clear coat is coming off the drivers side in sheets (pretty sure that side was repainted) and the drivers seat is trashed. But she fires up and ifles every time. I have a buncha parts on the way so ill see how she does!

Comment

What is the build date on the Vin sticker ? How many miles on the odometer?

Since it has been sitting for 12 years your are practically guaranteed that it will have oil leaks. The engine seals will have completely dried out.
                Depending on the mileage, the exhaust smoking may stop after it runs a while and the rings (if all are still intact) start doing their job again.

Picture of the engine bay? Does it have AC?

Comment

Congrats and welcome!

Lots of knowledge here to help you get it back to health. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                    What is the build date on the Vin sticker ? How many miles on the odometer?

Since it has been sitting for 12 years your are practically guaranteed that it will have oil leaks. The engine seals will have completely dried out.
                    Depending on the mileage, the exhaust smoking may stop after it runs a while and the rings (if all are still intact) start doing their job again.

Picture of the engine bay? Does it have AC?
                    Door jam says 04.16.1992. It was not built with AC, unfortunately. I will take and post an engine bay pic here in a bit. I think the only one i have was the one from the day i picked it up so its not glorious.

99967 miles today.
                    Last edited by Kirk; 10-02-2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                      What trim pieces do you need?
                      [/B]

I am missing the black trim down the drivers door mostly so far. The glue and backing is there, but not the "impact strip".

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post

I am missing the black trim down the drivers door mostly so far. The glue and backing is there, but not the "impact strip".
                        I have molding for both left and right doors for the L model like yours. Not sure which is which. Can you look at molding and tell me if the sharp point end of the slope is on the bottom or top of the left side piece?.
                        If you want the piece of molding I have I will let you have it for $8 plus shipping. if you want me to calculate shipping PM me you mailing address. It only weighs 11 oz in the box that I used to roll up a piece in.

With an April 92 build date your engine has the large nose crank... at 99K you have a really low miles engine. To bad it doesn't have factory AC. I have all the original Factory AC components (including a newer compressor). If you decide to install AC, let me know and we can talk about a deal on the parts. If you are at all handy with a wrench, it's really not that difficult to install.
                        Last edited by 1990new; 10-02-2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I will absolutely check to see how that faces and $8 plus shipping is perfect for me.

Comment

Wow, nice car!

Welcome to the group. I have found many great friends here. To be honest, I don't frequent the forum as much anymore.. the facebook group pops up in my feed more often.

There are plenty of good resources and how-to's on the site. Engine and transmission is the same family as many other small Ford and Mazda vehicles of the era, so parts are cheap and easy to find/replace generally speaking. Have a look around before you ask so you don't get flamed for not trying - if I remember, using google to search the site is a bit easier than the built in search query. Type your keywords and then "site:fordfestiva.com" into google.

Everybody loves pics! Post more haha

Again, welcome and congrats on the car

-Zack
                            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
                              Wow, nice car!

Welcome to the group. I have found many great friends here. To be honest, I don't frequent the forum as much anymore.. the facebook group pops up in my feed more often.

There are plenty of good resources and how-to's on the site. Engine and transmission is the same family as many other small Ford and Mazda vehicles of the era, so parts are cheap and easy to find/replace generally speaking. Have a look around before you ask so you don't get flamed for not trying - if I remember, using google to search the site is a bit easier than the built in search query. Type your keywords and then "site:fordfestiva.com" into google.

Everybody loves pics! Post more haha

Again, welcome and congrats on the car
                              Yeah, I joined the FB group as well. Lots of good info there! I don't post much since its a public group, and that throws all what i post into the news feed for everyone on my friends list to see, but thats more of a personal choice than anything. haha

I have plenty pics! Guess I shoulda posted a "build" thread huh

Comment

Working...
                              X