Pretty Cool Weekend Full of Events!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty Cool Weekend Full of Events!!!

Over the last few weeks, I sold my '72 Mach 1 and my '89 Auto Festurda in hopes of landing a newer 5 speed Festiva. I heard about an '89 Mazda 323 with a shelled tranny for $450 that I posted some questions about. Maybe I can fix it and make a few bucks and learn some things while doing the fixup on the 323. Also, I was introduced to the Mercury Capri xr2 Turbo and thought that it was a pretty cool looking car.

So, Friday, I'm at work, when a guy I work with tells me he has a buddy that has a Mercury Capri xr2 Turbo for sale. My radar was on full alert. How much I ask. $4000 Not for me!! Way outta my price league right now. Anyways, somehow we get around to this guy has a motor and 5 speed out of another Capri, non-turbo, 110,000 miles for $200. I'm thinking, well there is my tranny for the 323, and a motor for a future transplant into a Festiva.

Went and looked at the 323 Saturday, what a piece of sh**. Guy told me it was cherry except for the tranny. :x Not worth it to me, but oh well.

So, onto the web for a 5 speed car. I looked at everything from North Dakota to Arkansas, from Indiana to Colorado when I find a 5 speed Festy that was hit in the left fender and rusty, high miles, but mega new parts. Wanted $250, I got it for $200. Said he thinks the rack is shot, so I'll tow it back and replace the rack...eBay $189 or something for a rebuilt one. At least that's what I thought I would do.

Anyways, I'm riding around with my cousin Saturday and we were talking about driving up and down streets, finding cars, knocking on doors and seeing if any of them were for sale. I even commented to him how I used to do that in my younger years, but never found anything to buy or anything anybody wanted to sell. I drop him off and am cruising used car lots when I see a few side roads. I drive up and down them to the last road, turn the corner and there it is. Red Festiva. Windshield has had "for sale" boot polished on, but semi- removed. I go to the door, lady says she's not sure her husband wants to sell it or not, but she'll call him. I go out to the drive to check it out, 5 speed, rear wiper, alloy wheels in superb shape, 106,000 miles. About that time he shows up in his pickup. I ask him if he's interested in selling it. He says not really, but what will you give me for it. I tell him, I have no idea what they are worth. He says, I'll tell you what, I'll sell it to you for what I bought it for. I asked how much did you buy it for? I'm thinking $800. I wouldn't have paid $800, but I could see where the guy could ask for that much. He says $350. :shock: I about crapped myself! So I bought it!!!!! Now the $200 car will probably become a parts car, and now I'm only about a baker's dozen away from having as many Festys as Freshtiva. :wink:
    2 Festy's in one weekend. How was your weekend? Mine was Festabulous!!

Later,
    Levitan
    ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
    #2 .....Cheesehead
    #3 '91 White - Donor Car
    #4 .....Montana Project
    SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
    Bought her back for $450
    Now that's darn near priceless!!

Nice find! I'll bet you end up missing the Mach 1 though!
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

You lucky dog!!

I'm Sooooo jealous. Why can't I stumble across one of those?

Congratulations! Please post pics...

Cheers!

Scott
      Famous Last Words: "How hard can it be?"

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay
        Nice find! I'll bet you end up missing the Mach 1 though!
        I didn't have it that long. I sunk a chunk of change in it to get it mechanically sound. Ran great, 351c dual exhaust. Suspension was already pretty primo, but the body was beyond logical repair. There was not one staight or unrusted, un-Bondo-ed panel or pan on it. So, honestly, I don't miss it. Actually glad to break even on the money part of it. Learned alot about 'stangs while working on it. I know what to look for and beware of the next time one comes down the pike.

Now as far as my "new" GL, the auto Festurda was getting 21 mpg around town taking it real "grampa" easy and I did get 28 mpg on a short trip on the highway. The "GL" is getting 28 mpg around town, running it pretty hard....I love 5 speeds!! Thing runs like a top.

As far as pics. I need to learn how to do this.

#2 .....Cheesehead
        #3 '91 White - Donor Car
        #4 .....Montana Project
        Bought her back for $450

Comment

Need to work on that 28mpg... I drive mine like a maniac and get 40 or so... take it sorta easy and it is over 40. You will love it though....maybe a tune up or something.
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt
            Need to work on that 28mpg... I drive mine like a maniac and get 40 or so... take it sorta easy and it is over 40. You will love it though....maybe a tune up or something.
            I hear you. I haven't changed the basic tune-up stuff yet. Plus, it's like 0 degrees outside here in Iowa, it's hard to get good mpg here in the arctic tundra. By this weekend, I'll get'r dun. I'm just thrilled in the improvement. I normally drive an s-10 4x4 that, at best, it getting 15mpg. I like seeing the return on investment by saving on gas mileage. Every other fillup is free.

#2 .....Cheesehead
            #3 '91 White - Donor Car
            #4 .....Montana Project
            Bought her back for $450

Comment

there ya go...good way to look at it...congrats on the great finds too.
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

DUDE!!! Score!!!! Sweet! Pics now! digtal pics -> pc -> photobucket (free -> imbed here!!
                youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

There is a sticky in the Photo section that will help you post pics. And yes that auto should be getting better mileage, I beat my auto to death and get above 30mpg.
                  Brian
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                  :fish:

Comment

MMM Seems like Ive heard that story before. :wink: Very nice Levitan. You should try to come to the 2008 STL festiva meet.
                    sigpic
                    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva
                      MMM Seems like Ive heard that story before. :wink: Very nice Levitan. You should try to come to the 2008 STL festiva meet.
                      There may have been a little cut'n pastin' from elsewhere....I dunno. :? When is it, St. Louis, I'm there. I have a cuz down there that will let me stay at his place, so just let me know when. I'm hoping you'll allow me to visit your humble abode prior to that. I'll be heading down south of KC for a weekend getaway here in the next month or so. My drafting teacher from high school lives down there somewhere and we've kept in contact over the years. I want to visit him before I regret not seeing him in 24 years. Figured I'd stop by and visit the Freshtiva Farm on the way.

#2 .....Cheesehead
                      #3 '91 White - Donor Car
                      #4 .....Montana Project
                      Bought her back for $450

Comment

Come on down ! Stop and pick up todd00 on your way. He owes me lunch anyway. Between the three of us we would have 13 festivas, more than enough for a festiva meet.

Last year the STL meet was in November. Id suggest we move it up. We got real lucky on the weather last time.
                        sigpic
                        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Congrats! I'm hoping for many weekends like that once I get out of school and have a real job.
                          Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
                          Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
                          White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
                          White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
                          Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
                          Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
                          Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
                          White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Working...
                          X