Crazy Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Idea

I bought a 1988 Festiva turns out the back end is rusted out. Maybe this is a crazy idea, but I was thinking about chopping off the end and making a wooden stake bed? Turn it into a tiny truck?

This would be my first time ever modifying a car, but I'm excited to give it a go. I've seen several like I added a picture of with the roof cut off and the hatch modified. But nothing with completely removing the back end.

Any tips, tricks advice is gladly accepted.

There is a video from mighty car mods where they turned a Subaru into a truck like that, you could take some ideas from that video, should be really easy to find just type like “Subayute Mighty car Mods” or something like that. Gotta be careful, the roof is a major structural point in any car

Comment

Deleted
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Something similar has been done by cutting away the upper rear quarter behind the front seats, ie removing the the side windows back, but that retained the floor and rear suspension. As mentioned above these are unit body construction, like a box, not body on frame, so cutting into the floor may be structurally unstable. When I bought my Festiva I removed the back seat turning it inot a sort of small van and have made good use of the extra space.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Smart is correct if you start cutting off body parts you start losing structural integrity. Look at a factory convertible whatever you will see they reinforce the bottoms of the cars, they don't just cut off the roof. Look at a bridge from the side some time the long angles at the end arent just for looks.Even full body hot rod muscle cars need subframe connectors. Not trying to discourage you just telling you to do it right you need to do some reinforcing, heck didn't see where your from. I've got a hard top bug, a convertible bug, a. VW Rabbit, and a VW Rabbit truck if you want to look at the structural differences.
          30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Check out the crazy mower video. If he can do that, you should be able to come up with something. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-0wTjeldeo

I hate being Bi-Polar, it's awesome.

Comment

Working...
            X