No announcement yet.

Proud New Festiva Owner(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the body has no rust, $650 is not a bad price for that Festiva even if the engine turns out to be toasted. You will have to put some more money and time into it to get it like you want it in any case. Patience is a good thing to have when you get your first used Festiva.
    When buying tools don't thing you have to pay premium prices to get those "last forever tools" If you are a professional mechanic who uses those tools constantly it might be a wise investment (or if you have money to burn go for it). Check craigslist or your local pawn shop.. I've bought several great tools that way... and if you have a good friend or neighbor with tools you may even be able to borrow them until you get your own. You are learning so don't worry about thinking you will look dumb for asking questions about anything. We all make mistakes when we are learning.. When you make mistakes don't hesitate to admit and it learn from it. I'm 77 years old by the way and have made lots of mistakes and learned a great deal since I bought my first Festiva new in 1990.

BTW...While shop manuals are life savers, you occasional may find mistakes in those too Be careful when tightening bolts. A torque wrench and knowing how to use it will save you a lot of frustration.
    Be especially careful with steel bolts going into aluminum (buy some anti-seize and coat those bolt threads) and small bolts going into steel. Make sure you understand foot pounts, inch pounds, and Nm (neuton meters) when using those wrenches.

Comment

^^^What he wrote, plus I got tools at church rummage sales and communmity garage sales. Thse sales are seasonal hereabouts, spring and fall for churches, summer for garages. I also borrowed free loaner tools from auto parts stores. When buying parts off the Internet make sure it's the right one. Over the years Festiva parts changed and some online sellers only carry one and don't know there are others. When in doubt ask here in the repair help forum.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
      X