Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member - New Festiva - Common Issues to Check? 91 Model

Afternoon!

I am sure many people are going to initially 'cringe' at this thread, but I figured it might save me 300 hours of reading thru this forum.

I have wanted a Festiva for over a decade. In facat, I have even stopped at random peoples houses in the past when I saw one parked in a yard or driveway to ask them if they wanted to sell it, in which case most of the time they Literally told me to "f*ck off" -

Now, 10 years later, two kids, wife, I come across one for $500 that ran last year and has been sitting. I know most of the history of the car.

Does anyone, before I throw a battery in it and start searching for answers, have anything in mind that might be problematic with it starting and running?

It is a 1991. It is fuel injected. It Feels like it has the 5 speed transmission. Little funky shifting gears in it sitting still but I feel like I found fifth and reverse and according to wikipedia if it has the fuel injected motor it should have the 5 speed transmission.

I am mechanically incline with 20 years of working on cars and trucks as well as being a fabricator/welder... so I assume to check all the basics of what would cause it to start or not start and run.

I am going to do the basics... check fluids, check the oil, i'm sure the gas is old, put a battery in it, listen for a fuel pump to prime, and then see what happens when I fire it up.

I just figured a few of you hardcore Festiva lovers might have like a "10 point list" of things I might need to consider or look into on getting one of these awesome little cars running and driving.

I appreciate anyone that might be able to point me in a few directions of common 'Festiva' issues like this that might help me get one of these cars back on the roads again!

Thank you!

William

You probably already know this but just in case, before turning the engine over remove spark plugs and put some light oil or deisel fuel into the combustion chambers and let sit overnight, then turn over a few times w/o spark. A good thing to do also is a wet and dry compression reading and vacuum which, as you know, will tell a few things about the condition of the engine. People have problems with the emergency cable and the clevis pins on the rear brakes rusting. If you ever have to do the front rotors or wheel bearings keep in mind the wheels have to be pulled apart and the spacers carefully saved and resused on the same wheel each came off. Also the right rear axle nut is reverse thread. Have fun.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Duplicate

Comment

I see that you are in East Tennessee so the car should not have a lot or rust if it has been local since it was born.

Welcome to the forum .. happy to hear that your have finally found a Festiva.
        The sloppy gears can be fixed with 5 bushing replacements. 4 on the shifter arm and one on the stabalizer arm. There are lots of threads here that should be easy to find with as simple search that tell all about how to fix it. I used to have lots of extra bushings but now I only have a few of the stabilizer bushing that go in the bar at the transmission attachment point.
        You pay postage and I will send you one of those free. You can get the others for $1.55 each at thefestivastore.com https://www.thefestivastore.com/
        The shifter stabilizer bushings are $9.00 each there.
        While you are there you may find some other items that you may need.

Comment

Sorry about the duplicate posts..
          I see that you are in East Tennessee so the car should not have a lot or rust if it has been local since it was born.

Welcome to the forum .. happy to hear that your have finally found a Festiva.
          The sloppy gears can be fixed with 5 bushing replacements. 4 on the shifter arm and one on the stabilizer arm. There are lots of threads here that should be easy to find with as simple search that tell all about how to fix it. I used to have lots of extra bushings but now I only have a few of the stabilizer bushing that go in the bar at the transmission attachment point.
          You pay postage and I will send you one of those free. You can get the others for $1.55 each at thefestivastore.com https://www.thefestivastore.com/
          The shifter stabilizer bushings are $9.00 each there.
          While you are there you may find some other items that you may need.

Comment

Working...
          X