Why Hello there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Hello there

Just wanted to drop in and introduce myself. My name is Scott and I just picked up a pretty clean 93 . I've had my fair share of building cars so this will be a fun adventure. I'm going to start digging through the posts to learn a little bit bit if there is anything you think would be helpful don't be afraid to drop it below.

Welcome Scott... happy to see new members on the forum.
    A couple of helpful tips to those new to working on Festivas:
    Search the forum for the correct way to install thermostat housing and speedometer gears.
    Those two parts have at one time or another been broken by most members on the forum when they first began to work on Festivas.
    If you don't have a Festiva Shop Manual and Vacuum and Electrical troubleshooting manual, I would recommend that you buy them.
    I have miscellaneous Festiva parts that I am giving away.. so ask me.. I may have what you need.

Comment

Here are some unique things to look for.
      1. front wheel bearing spacers. The bearings are not adjustable. You have to insert a spacer. When replacing bearings be sure to save the spacer to put back in. They are different for each wheel so don't get them mixed up.
      2. Right hand rear wheel axle nuts are reverse thread. People have stripped thread on spindle trying to loosen nut turning wrong way. Ruins spindle. Hard to find. Hard to replace.
      3. Front brake disk bolts are inserted from behind. To replace discs you have to take front wheel apart, ie pull knuckle off hub. See 1. above.
      Otherwise the cars are very simple compared to what they sell now. Enjoy.

PS if you pull both axles out of the transmission at the same time the gears fall into a heap in the bottom of the trans. Only remove one front axle at a time so there's always one holding the gears in place. Some people have inserted a broom stick to hold the gears in place.
      Last edited by WmWatt; 10-28-2023, 09:56 AM.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

that's one I never knew about pulling axles. i've done more than a few half shaft replacements. just dumb luck I never had to do both at the same time. does that apply to ATX and MTX?

Comment

Working...
        X