got bored today so...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got bored today so...

... I did what any other guy would do on a boring rainy day Pulled the LTD into the garage and ripped out about 30lbs worth of useless junk :lol:

A/C didn't work anyway so it was useless to me (and even if it did work I wouldn't ever use it) and the smog pump really only helps for about the first 5 minutes of driving till the cats warm up enough to start doing their job on their own without being fed fresh air constantly. Didn't really make much of a difference in power I guess, but at idle at least the engine spools down a lot faster with less backfiring than it did before. Main benefit is lots more room in the engine bay for any other work that might be necessary, and without the A/C compressor in the way its a lot easier to get to the front to spark plugs on the left side of the motor

All that took up most of my afternoon, but I still had time to update my signature to reflect my current vehicles too
    No festiva for me ATM...

Wow! Living in GA I would think A/C would be nice to get working. I know in Ohio I use it all summer!
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Nice! I love keepin my engine bay simpe too
      89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
      RIP 90LX

Comment

Agreed. I wouldn't want to be without AC in the Georgia summer. I had an Uncle in Atlanta who once got rid of a Festiva because it didn't have AC. What did he replace it with? A pink 2 door Aspire of course.

When I had my '88 Town Car I kept telling myself I was going to take the smog pump off, but never did. I seem to remember the belt that ran it ran a few other things as well (maybe AC) and I was worried I couldn't find a belt that would be the right length without the smog pump.
        Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
        Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
        White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
        White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
        Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
        Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
        Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
        White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

^^^ yep, smog pump and AC are on the same belt, and thats all thats on the belt. Thats why I removed the two at the same time. You can actually use a shorter than factory belt and take off the smog pump but still use the AC... in my case both the inlet and return lines for the thing that is not the condensor (no clue what is called but it looks and functions basically like the heater core, only cooling instead of heating) were damaged, and I don't use AC even down here in GA cause I'm far enough out of town that I don't get stuck in traffic much, and when your driving between 70-115 miles an hour with all four side windows (plus the tailgate window) down, having AC just seems like overkill :twisted:
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

having a/c is nice but it kinda does suck on such a small engine with how much power it robs
            mine actually gets too cold but everytime i come to a big hill or need to take off in a hurry i flick it off just to get anywhere lol
            on the highway sitting on 100-110 it doesnt effect economy at all but around town in stop go traffic my fuel consumptions really sucks
            i'd hate to drive one of the older carb model festis/121 in auto with a/c
            i think it would feel like gettting out and walking would be more productive

but maybe im just too picky
            my other car is a vw beetle with a worked supercharged 1.8L so going from that to the festi is like running a marathon pushing a wheel barrow full of bricks LOL

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck
              in my case both the inlet and return lines for the thing that is not the condensor (no clue what is called but it looks and functions basically like the heater core, only cooling instead of heating) were damaged, having AC just seems like overkill :twisted:
              I believe the word you're looking for is Evaporator.
              Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
              Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
              White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
              White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
              Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
              Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
              Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
              White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

^^^ yep, evaporator is probably it. see, I learn something new everyday
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Working...
                X