I'm about to lose my baby...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm about to lose my baby...

I don't know about the rest of you, but I get attached to my vehicles.

Last summer, I sold a 1984 Yamaha Venture Royale that I rode off the showroom floor. It only had about 47k on the clock and looked as good (or better) than it did when I bought her. Lots of chrome, custom Corbin saddle, etc. But, like my Festiva, it had an ignition problem that I could not fix. So, after 22 years, I watched as the buyer hauled it out of my driveway and I wept.

Now, Big Bird, my Festiva that I drove off the showroom floor in December, 1990 is going to be hauled away Monday, 4 February and I know I'll weep again. Am I sounding like a sissy? OK! Go ahead and laugh at me, but I love my vehicles and feel that 'maybe' they have a sense of belonging. I've worked on her for 4 ~ 5 years and could not fix the problem, so maybe the buyer will be more fortunate.

So, I'm lifting a glass and toasting all of us who love our vehicles and have baby'd them for many years. Here's another toast to Festeal, who bought Big Bird, with hopes that he can fix her so that she may give him many years of good service. Hopefully, he will treat her with as much kindness and love as I've given her for the past 18 years.
    1990 L-Plus, 5-spd, Flamed Festiva.
    http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...STIVA_0011.jpg

I am with you there! I sold my Harley after 13 years and almost backed out on the deal. (kinda wish I had). Same thing with a 70 Mustang I had forever it seemed like. So now I have my 93 Cobra that I have had for 15 years and a 93 Lightning that I have had for 11 years. And every now and then I think of selling the Lightning because I don't drive it often, but then I talk myself out of it because I don't want to part with it. (fun truck to drive) Its not too late to change your mind!
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

I'm with you 25; if the two I mentioned were still running, I'd never sell. I now have two full size ford vans, a toyota matrix, and a goldwing. The only 'baby' (at this time) is one of the vans; a 1985 E-150 that I ordered in 1984; had it painted a couple of years ago; I personally rebuilt her engine [5.8 4 bbl] for performance; she looks great and runs great!! Had her almost 24 years, and I'll never sell her.

Comment

Thats a nice Festiva, I can't believe that you still have the trouble with it. I don't know if I would let it go even with the problem.
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

Yep; she's great, inside and out. But I've tried everything, except replacing the distributor; that may have fixed it, I don't know. Festeal seems pretty knowledgeable and came across as one who loves vehicles, so hopefully he'll be able to get her up and running and take care of her.

Comment

I know where you're coming from. I cried when I totaled my first car, a beater '89 Cavalier. I loved that thing. And I wish I still had my aqua Festy. I even find myself pining for my '88 Town Car that I traded my first Festiva for.
            Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
            Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
            White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
            White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
            Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
            Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
            Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
            White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

clev, I am right there with you buddy. I think of getting rid of my vmax occasionally. I'd like to turn it into a 67-68 cougar. I've been dreaming of one since I was 15 - 22 years. But every time I hear it, feel it, twist the throttle :twisted: I just can't do it. I'm sure festeal will do it justice. Good luck my man.
              youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

im with you

I lost my baby back in july, when i was 15 i bought a 1993 eclipse with a blown motor, put a new one in, and converted the entire body (bumpers, sideskirts tailights spoiler) all to the egle talon, did alll the body work and got it in primer ready for paint, after 3 years of work and about 2,900 dollars i drove to NJ for the 4th of july... going 85MPH an astro van cut me off, i hit the breaks, looked over at my g/f in the passenger seat, saw that she was wearing her seatbelt, reached over and grabed her grab bar oon the door and held her back from hitting the dash and braced for impact (all happened in seconds but seemed like a half hour) his the van doing about 75MPH and the van was doing like 15MPH... i then got out screaming.. after relizing yelling wasnt helping... i gave up and called a tow... i had to leave the car in NJ... i had to pay 240 dollar fee to leave it there too.

blue flake 89L shaved hatch, Lowered, BP swap in progress, bobtail bumper, 5spd tranny, acura 5 spoke 15" wheels and fiberglass dash

Comment

I'm with you too, clev. Been trying to figure out the Batstiva's problem since last summer. Have alternately tried and given up several times. Yet still she sits in the driveway. Have tried to sell her a couple of times, tho not too hard. Now I am debating what to do with her. But her leaving seems less and less likely. :roll:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                  1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                  1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                  Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

i've had this problem since i was like 7 yrs old. course it was my dads '63 4 door nova, but i cried pretty bad when he sold it. my mom can't understand it. she says they're just cars. course, she used to buy a new one every two years too...:lol:
                    that sucks man. i dont know what i'll do when mine gives out. probably cry. :lol:
                    89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
                    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
                    92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
                    New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

^You'd love my grandpa's current toy. It's a '64 Nova 4 door. Gold, Straight 6, Power steering 3 speed on the column. I love that car, even if it is a Chevy.,

Festivas past:

Current Fleet:
                      Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"

Comment

^^ a nova like this? :twisted: :lol:

89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                        RIP 90LX

Comment

Geez!! I thought you guys would be laughing at me over this. So, maybe I'm not the only one that's a sentimental old fool. You're a great buncha guys. I'll post some pictures of Ol Brownie (84 E-150) tomorrow.

Comment

Nope. That looks to be a 4th generation "Disco" Nova. Grandpa's is a 1st generation, a '64 model. This is it:

Festivas past:

Current Fleet:

Comment

Clev. I'm in Austin. I would have helped you with her. Looks like I need to start a local group around here.

Comment

Working...
                              X