can't get the serpentine belt back on, 2001 taurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't get the serpentine belt back on, 2001 taurus

Ok, I replaced the water pump yesterday on Dad '01 Taurus 3.0 V6 OHV (not FFV or DOHC). Came back this morning to put everything back together and install the belt. I can't get the belt back on no matter how hard I try. Even with the automatic tensioner (I HATE THOSE THINGS!) rotated all the way back it still looks like the belt is lacking 3/4 of an inch. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what, I'm following the routing diagram in the haynes manual but maybe it is wrong? Anybody got any tips or tricks how to get this thing back on there before we have to tow it to a mechanic?
    No festiva for me ATM...

double check that the belt is routed the right way. I had a hard time with my 1996 Taurus (same motor) when I replaced the alternator. I had too much slack though.
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Yeah, I have done it on both a 90 and an 87 but it wasn't this much of a pain on those. I tried routing it the only other way that it can still going around all the pulleys in the proper direction and its pretty loose so I'm guessing its wrong. I may try it that way and crank it and see if it flies off lol
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

there's a belt routing decal on the radiator support, follow that one instead of Haynes.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

^^^ thats what I would've used, but the decal is missing (I can still see the square of sticky stuff on there though from where it was). I think I may have found the issue though. All this time I was assuming the belt was correct since its the one that was already on there. However, I just crossed referenced some part numbers and the correct belt for that car is (85.5" long), but the belt thats on there now is a Gatorback 4060835, which as I suspected from the last three digits is 83.5" long. By my leftover recollections of geometry it would make sense that my extra 1/2" to 3/4" that the belt wouldn't reach is part of the diameter of the pulley, and multiplying that by pi should give me the extra (roughly) 2" that I need in length to properly circumnavigate the pulley. I thought the belt was ridiculously tight when I was trying to pull if off, but given the evil nature of the auto tensioners I figured it was just one more attempt by FoMoCo to make my life as family mechanic miserable as possible :lol: So anyway, I'm off to the parts store for correct belt, hopefully that will fix things up for me.
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

The belt on my car ends in 855 also, its a 1999 with the 3.0

money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

yeah, thats the same as dads, same way I have mine routed, same belt its supposed to be, and the same diagram that I was using from the haynes. I went to the parts store and picked up an 85" (the system also lists that as a replacement belt for the car) and they didn't have an 85.5". Should be ok cause there is a good bit of play in that tensioner pulley anyway, and if not I'll have them order the 85.5". I'll post again either way when I go back tonight and try it. Thanks for the help though, especially the pics
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

If you have a Advanced Auto Parts store nearby ask for a printout of the routing of the belt.
                Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
                99 Dodge Caravan SE
                95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
                78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
                78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
                03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
                95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
                95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
                95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

Compare the new belt to the old belt (if you are using a new belt)
                  Not familiar w/ 3.0L...but does the tensioner arm have a location for a 3/8 or 1/2 square drive...look for a square hole in the are of the tensioner and insert a breaker bar w/ an extension....they swing much easier that way.
                  Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                  The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Well I got it back on, used the correct belt and everything went fine. The stupid mechanic my dad used to use messed a lot of stuff up when he replaced the AC compressor and one of the things he did was replace the belt with the wrong one. Me and dad went back and found an old pic of the engine bay from after the install and it turns out he had routed it incorrectly to make it fit. I didn't even look at it much when I took it off cause I knew I had the diagram anyway. But the right belt is on now and the engine is still leaking antifreeze from somewhere on the back of the motor lol, but the water pump is ok... curse tauruses and their plague of crappy cooling systems... I woud still probably own two taurus wagons today if it wasn't for the cooling systems failing catastrohically
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

^^Headgaskets.
                      Brian
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                      :fish:

Comment

not on the 3.0's. More than likely its a rotted core plug.
                        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

If you route the belt wrong, it seems likely something would turn ass-backwards, don't it?
                          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

^^^ it may have been lol... it was only about 5000 miles ago that the belt was changed... would explain why the cooling system has been a lil funky lately... and maybe thats why we have more trouble in the system lol. I'll report the damage later once the job is done.
                            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I am working on an 01 taurus 3.0 ohv with the timing cover gasket leaking kinda like the old 5.0 used to do.

My favorite with them is when the rust the fins off the water pumps the first one drove me crazy took awile to figure out what was going on.
                              96 Ford F-150 XLT
                              93 Festiva L (Modified)
                              92 Festiva L
                              68 Mustang GT 428cj

Comment

Working...
                              X