Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need someone to measure something on a strut mount for me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need someone to measure something on a strut mount for me.

Hey
    I need the distance between the two studs, and the diameter of the hole in the strut tower.

I'm making something

Thanks guys/gals.
    * Retired Festiva-er*
    1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
    B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

For those of you that care:

That's just something I whipped up in class over the last 30 minutes. I still need to go over the material type and proper thickness. I'm thinking that I want to make the plate out of aluminum because of its weight, but it doesn't have the strength that steel has. If I used steel, the plate could be thinner, which is what I need because if it is too thick then I'll loose some shock absorber travel. You're input is welcome. I don't feel like doing the math to figure it out :lol:

I need to find a pivot for the strut rod. I'm thinking of using a heim joint that I can insert into a cutout in the bottom of that slider. There is still a lot more design involved, this is just a preliminary model to give you guys an idea of what I'm trying to produce here. Once I get the proper dimensions, I'll modify the model so that it is an exact fit into the Festiva.

The only reason I'm not getting the FMS camber plates is because they are made for Festiva struts, which have a smaller shock rod diameter then the coil-overs I'm using.
    * Retired Festiva-er*
    1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!

Comment

Hmm.. here some help http://www.aurorabearing.com/ they make some units that should work. Yes, 6061 10-12mm should be fine for the camber plate. Remember the more you add in thickness the more you raise the car and have to compensate in coilover adjustment. You can also mount the bearing up high to compensate, there is alot of room. I went pillow mounts but left the camber adjustment in the lower control arm.

Good luck!

Comment

ooh those will be yummy. say can you still get a deal on those coilovers you got or was that one of those right time right place things?
        Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
        1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
        1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
        2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

how about a simpler design with half the parts. make it a solid piece and use slots on the strut holes. thats what porsche does, and it seems to work pretty good.

Comment

Use slots on the strut holes?

I think this design is simple enough while still being strong.
            * Retired Festiva-er*

Comment

If these were to be produced, this is what they would look like:

* Retired Festiva-er*

Comment

make some for the mx-3....youd' sell more
                Wil
                02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
                00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
                05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
                93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
                96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
                93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

Working...
                X