Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Took the Festy on a tobbogan run (long post,sorry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took the Festy on a tobbogan run (long post,sorry)

Well...we had some more terrible weather here today and like the past weekend days that there was more snow then anywhere else I decided I had to go out in it. Shoveled my way thru about 6 inches of snow to get to the Festy...got it started and cleaned off. Wind was blowing about 40mph give or take according to the news....with gusts to higher. The driveway with the drifts in it was uneventful so we started down the road. With the way it was snowing and the wind blowing so hard we could see maybe a car length in front of us...but I am stubborn so I proceeded.
    Made it about 3 miles down the road to the main road into town. The 4 wheel drive truck in front of us at the intersection spun a 360 when it started to turn left onto the road...we laughed...we were turning right and had no problems. Maybe a 1/4 mile or so down the road , with the wind blowing so bad we were unable to see anything past the hood of the car...there was a big field , about 100 acres, to the left of us that was making it so we were totally unable to see. As I turned to the wife to ask her if we should even continue I felt the car lunge to the right, we were going maybe 15 mph, and it came to a halt...wheels still spinning. Luckily no one was behind us..well at least we could not see anyone. I cut the wheel to the left and tried to move...just spun...hit reverse and we went backward a bit...went forward a bit and felt like the whole car just went to the right...like we were being sucked to the side. I tried this a bunch of times but we were unable to move anymore. The car was like floating on the snow. From the wind blowing across the field it had drifted so deep I was unable to get any traction. A guy finally pulled up next to us and asked if we wanted him to try and push us with his truck till we were through the drift. I agreed and we began trying to make it through...I could not move left or right...the car just kept going straight no matter what I did...finally the tires grabbed and pulled me to the left. The wind was blowing so hard we could still not see anything at all...then it let up enough for me to see we were in the opposite oncoming lane...thank goodness in all this time no one came or it would have been ugly. We were able to get going then and in breaks in the wind we managed to make it back into the right lane and get to about 15 mphs. We finally got past the field and things got a little better...we could see again for the most part. So again..me being stubborn I decided I was gonna make it into town. BY this time we have mad it maybe 6 miles down the road from my house and we had 10 to go....lol. Well the rest of the ride was uneventful... got the movies back to the store and exchanged....yup...thats what I decided to go out for....exchange movies...hahaha.
    On the ride home I decided....you guessed it...to come back that same way just to see where we had gotten stuck at... I figured what the hell, the lane I was now in was clear on the ride to town so how bad could it be. We made it no problems but when we got to the area where I was stuck earlier you could see where a plow truck had went through and the snow that was on the side of the road probably amounted to about 3 feet between what he had plowed off and what had blown onto it from the field by the time we returned. We mad it through that section no problem this time and turned onto the second to last road I needed to be on before we were home. About 2 miles from my house I looked over at the wife again...I didn't learn the first time I guess, and asked her if she was ok cause she looked pretty pale. She said I am ok, just a little scared from earlier still. I proceeded to laugh and tell her...this is cake now..we are almost home. Just as the last word came out of my mouth, the rear end kicked to the right...I laughed a little and corrected the car and laughed again...like a little kid. Then it kicked left....I tried to correct and it kicked to the right...then left...each time going further and further around...I was not laughing anymore. It was like slow motion...we went back and forth about 5 times...luckily again not one was coming. The car kicked right one last time and we were now going down the road completely sideways. I forgot to mention the road was a slight downhill run. We headed sideways a bit and were moving slightly forward at the same time..finally the passenger side tire hit deeper snow and it was toboggan time, we spun backwards and got sucked into the ditch and kept spinning...never made it all the way around but when we stopped we were starring at the sky. The ditches in my area are very deep and I am sure we were past the 45 degree angel looking up. We were buried so deep in snow there was no way to even open the doors. I sat there for a second and then looked over at the wife...she looked pretty bewildered...and I just bust out laughing...I couldn't stop for a few seconds. Then she did too. As we sat there trying to figure out what we were going to do...we made a call to my brother in law so I could get a ride to my house and get my info for the tow club I am in, I had not switched it into the new car yet, a guy stopped to see if we were ok..I was still laughing while I talked through a crack in the window, another stopped in a suburban and offered to try and pull me out, said he had chains and I said sure...why not, the tow hooks were right there for him to hook to...lol. I thought...no way he was getting me out with how deep in the snow I was and the angel of the car. He hooked up and basically I was like nothing to him...he walked me right out. All this time there was still no traffic other then him that came along. He unhooked and I thanked him and gave him 20 bucks, would have gave him more but that is all he would take.
    So after all that...I proceeded down the road the rest of the way home with no problems again. Pulled in the drive...laughed some more , checked out the Festy...no damage at all.
    Hey...I got my movies and wings home and decided to right this long post...sorry if it bored you, but I thought it was kinda funny since the Festy is ok..LOL.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Wow, what an adventure. :shock:
    sigpic
    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

dude, that is awesome...
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Been in nasty weather like that lots of times. Not much fun. Glad to hear you and your wife are ok.

Next time, maybe you should think about paying the late fee!

Comment

I hope the movies were good and the wings were hot. It would be a shame if they weren't. lol!
          Glad it turned out ok.

Comment

Willie , Glad you and the family are OK ,and the Festiva .

BUT ..

The laughing and the rear end swinging back and forth more and more with each swing , I can picture all this like a video in my head , LMAO !!

Sounds like one heck of a adventure , I thought maybe a long ride down a steep hill is what happened . :shock:
            ------------------------------------------------
            The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
            Smart Passion white with H-D interior
            HD2500 Duramax Chevy
            Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
            Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
            Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
            Z28 LS1 power 500 +
            90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
            It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Sounded like a eventful time.
              It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Working...
              X