Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Festiva tow anything?

Hey everybody,
    proud owner of an 88' L, and was just wondering if a Festiva can tow anything...More specifically, could a Festiva tow a lightweight (less than 1000 lbs) travel trailer for a significant distance? (Im thinking the old Westfalia trailers; the ones old VW Bugs can pull). I mean, I figure if a VW Bug can pull it, a Festiva can? The one I'm looking at says its "Light weight and easy to tow. Can be towed by a economy small car or truck or VW". Anyways, I was just wondering what the possibilities were...

-Nick

Oh, and lemme see if I can get a pic of the trailer...
    ...Ok i cant, but heres a link:

That looks like a bit much to me.
    sigpic
    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

lemme see.... I've towed a festiva on a tow dolly with a festiva from Virgina Beach to Baltimore, about a 6 hour trip.
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

your really only limited on the tounge weight. ive pulled a 3000lb jeep and it wasn't bad
        89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
        RIP 90LX

Comment

I pulled my jet ski everywhere without any problems.
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

i've pulled my old 11 foot trailer, with a lawnmower on it. i did it off and on all summer a couple years back. got a lot of looks with a trailer twice the length of my car.

and the "smart guy" question "which has the bigger motor?" or "which has more HP?".

Comment

here's one for ya, the trailer is twice as long as the car (it's my parents car)

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

^^ Thats awesome!
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

The question should be can you tow it safely? Also how fast can you tow it safely? More important can you stop it?
                  I would put the aspire brakes on and also trailer brakes. If the tongue weight is to much you can put stiffer springs on the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid
                    (it's my parents car)

Hey I know her :lol:
                    and
                    I sat in that car
                    ------------------------------------------------
                    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

I bet that backs up real easy
                      Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                      The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Thx everyone that helps a lot. I'll let you know if I ever do pull somethin, but that'll be in the summer so who knows what'll happen

Oh, and Damkid, we're getting a Smart Car too- we placed the reservation thing last july or somethin, and we called and they said it should be about a month...Woo! I love little cars...

Comment

Originally posted by nick7764
                          Oh, and Damkid, we're getting a Smart Car too- we placed the reservation thing last july or somethin, and we called and they said it should be about a month...Woo! I love little cars...
                          thats a lot longer wait than what my parents had, they waited about 4 months or so for their's, just a fair warning, they have a lot of cool features but they are GUTLESS at least it feels that way after driving a BP festiva :lol:

i didn't know smart cars are now available in the US so maybe the model you'll be getting has a bit more power than my parents so may not be gutless

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Someone where I work just got one of those Smart Cars.
                            Man is that thing tiny. Looks even smaller in person than in the photos.
                            ~Jeff
                            1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
                            1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
                            2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

a good way to compare the size of them for people who've never seen them, i've parked my festiva side by side with the smart car and the smart car comes up to the bottom of the windshield on my festiva, so the length of the hood on the festiva is how much longer it is than the smart car

Comment

Working...
                              X