Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel vs Alloy rims..

sup peeps....

so iv been driving my prizm around in the snowy weather and i slid into a curb the other night and bent the damn steel rim... now on my festiva iv always had alloy rims on it and iv hit curbs and potholes waaaaay harder then i did on the prizm and i never bent 1 rim doing so with the festiva. iv always thought that steel rims were stronger the alloys and that you had to be very careful with alloys but am i mistaken about this?

I would hope its not a weight issue because i do want to get alloys for this prizm but if alloys are weaker.. then ima have to be more careful then i can be. i live in MI and this state is known for having more potholes then roads

steel wheels are stronger in the sence that steel wheels bend but can still be used. alloy wheels will not bend, they will crack or just lose a big chunk of where the bead seats.
    blue flake 89L shaved hatch, Lowered, BP swap in progress, bobtail bumper, 5spd tranny, acura 5 spoke 15" wheels and fiberglass dash

Comment

hmmmm still must take alot to crack a alloy..iv never seen a alloy rim cracked.

Comment

I had an alloy rim come apart on me just driving down the road one time no pothole, curb, or anything. It just blew a big piece off the bead area. It must have been a bad wheel from the factory I guess.
        ~Scott

1989 Festiva L EFI

2010 Toyota Prius

Comment

ive seen alloys crack and bend all the time from potholes...

-Scott
          Aqua 93 L
          Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
          White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

the factory alloy rim on my 300ZX has a big dent in the rim where the bead seats, it still holds air and they only get used for the car to sit on over the winter, so i don't care

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

hmm so then i guess i got luck with the 2 sets of alloys i had on the festiva because thos things took a massive beating....... i barely curb tap these steels and they bend enought to make the rid wobbly even at slow speeds :/

Comment

Originally posted by FoxProGT
                hmm so then i guess i got luck with the 2 sets of alloys i had on the festiva because thos things took a massive beating....... i barely curb tap these steels and they bend enought to make the rid wobbly even at slow speeds :/

heres a mod . . . curb feelers off an old lincoln or caddy hahaha

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
                92 GL - parts car
                97 aspire - parts car
                87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
                http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
                Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

:laughing3: hahaha!

Comment

Maybe a bad rim? I hit the curb hard enough to bend the rear axle beam in my festy but the rim barley bent...just the lip a little

-Scott
                    Aqua 93 L
                    Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
                    White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

The steel rim probably bent because it was not spinning during impact....also the line of impact of the curb was into the direction of travel.....y0u go 'across' potholes.
                      And for alloy rims...they typically crack
                      Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                      The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

I have pic's of screwed up alloys from a pothole. killed both driverside rims. one bent the other tore.
                        It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Originally posted by jglutz
                          The steel rim probably bent because it was not spinning during impact....also the line of impact of the curb was into the direction of travel.....y0u go 'across' potholes.
                          And for alloy rims...they typically crack
                          that could be the case... i did hit the curb whale the rim was not spinning. i cant beleave i have to baby this newer car in the snow.......... the festiva handles way better then a prizm in snow by the way... the prizm dont handle to bad... just not as good and the fest

Comment

A friend of mine hit a pothole last week in a Lexus LS400, the rim split in half.
                            Oh yea he was driving about 60mph when it happened.
                            Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
                            99 Dodge Caravan SE
                            95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                            94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
                            78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
                            78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
                            03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
                            95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
                            95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
                            95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment