Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Picked up number 3 today

Well here's the pictures as of now.

Now for the exciting story. I left my house after coming back from the 160 miles round trip from my parent for the load of engine parts and my tow bar to tow the car home from Mulvane. Got to my house unloaded and headed out at 6:30 ish. Big wreck on the 35 N to Mulvane so they detoured us up the 81 to the 53 wich is the road Mulvane is on. Meet up with him at a set of railroad tracks by the toal booths. From there he took me to his house. He's said your in for a big surprise, i said I'm ready. He opened his garage.....i was like "oh damn" parts disassembled everywhere in the car and outside of the car. The BP was beautiful, clean and neat, everything intact. I also received a full disc brake setup from the same car the half shafts from the passenger side G series trans, a b3 partially taken apart. 14" mazda wheels with some decent tires, protege p/s setup minus the rack and pinion, fuel lines and brake lines from the protege, brake booster, resivoir, and MC. So we filled the truck up, and attached the car to the dolly.

We wrote "in tow" on the back in aluminum tape for i didn't have a trailing light setup, and there was no way to make the tail lights work without alot of fabbing. So i left his house, 12:30am at this time...getting late.

Well first turn we take out of this place my wife sees sparks from the passenger tire but they went away. So i proceed on i get no more than 3 miles from his house making a wrong turn on the k-15 south. My wife says OMG there are sparks everywhere. So i slam on the brakes and pull it over. Whell was on fire!! Rotor cherry red probably 700 degrees or more! I NEED WATER! She hands me a cup of coke from McDonalds and a couple water bottles. Got the fire out and the rotor started to cool. Wheel was cambered in like 3" though it was gonna snap off..that bad. So look at my tool supply...no BJ seperator but the bare essentials to take off all the bolts. No lug nuts for the front spindles on the protege, non in the car. Disconnect the tow bar and head toward Derby to the Wal mart, got and hoodie, and some food, a hammer, a punch. Returned to the sight to try to fix it. Got the tie rod end off with just the hammer and the LCA came off with the punch and hammer. Switched over the the spindles. The protege LX spindle will not fit the lca is to low and the BJ mount is lower too, only the one of the two bolt holes allign to the strut assembly.

I head in search for a hotel its 2am now. Back in Derby going through contrustion zone got pulled over by local police. Great!! He lets me go and gives me direction to the hotel and autozone/oreillys'. Econo lodge had cheaper rooms so i slept there for the rest of the morning.

Overslept till 9am got up and headed for a parts in derby mainly for lug nut so i could limp it back to his house or somewhere safer than the side of the road. Picked up a set a 20 spline drive tuner lugs and a BJ seperator just incase. Back to the site. Bolted on the wheel fits nice, i like the look alot. Put it foward 10 feet, clunk, the other side goes out! F***, i limp it to a dirt road, thing almost rips off now. At this point I'm po'd, old lady says why don't we just rent a 2 wheel dolly. I thought to myself, "Wes how come you didn't of that" Then i smile at my wfie and have to say, "What a great idea!" This guys stops and asks if we need help, this is when i picked up the wheel bearing which had been on my car is now lying on the ground. I sadi no don't need help but can to direct us to the nearest U-haul.

So we're heading to U-haul. It was right next to where i went to autozone :x

The guy didn't have a tow dolly at his location but found one in south Witchita that did, great can i have it. Yes you may. Knowing that U-haul wouldn't let a customer tow anything with a 4cyl truck i lied and said it was a 4.3 vortec. Reserved! I head over to O'reillys and pick up a trailer 4 pin light kit some windshield mouldings i saw that would fit a festiva and some small bolts to go in the bottom hole of the strut assembly. Come out to the truck which had been left running and check gages light came on. Water temp was maxed-out 260 degrees...dammit! Fried the relay...walk back into O'reilly's for new relay and rewired the electric convertion setup. More time wasted. Make it to the other u-haul location, and hooked up and pay no problems what-so-ever. Look at my cell...1pm OMG i have to be in work at 4pm. So i called the 1800 number and called off.

Back to the site.....even though the wheels where both cambered in like 3" and toed in 3" i pushed it on the dolly. Clutch smoking, chuggin up and down hills i made it back home.

These are the only picture i have will get more tommorrow when i finished the rake swap so i can roll it around in my driveway.

While i was on my trip i saw 4 festivas, 2 white ones, his green one, and a teal one.

Sorry if the spelling is bad, and i have typos...I'm a little exhausted, tired, stinky, but happy I have "NUMBER 3" its new name
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
    BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

I'll bet you were glad to be home! Get some rest.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Sounds like you had an adventure. At least you'll have a cool story to tell once you get the car up and running.
      Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
      Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
      White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
      White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
      Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
      Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
      Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
      White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Yeah wait till i unload it tommorrow and take more pictures....lol you may all think i sould sell "number 3" lmao

Comment

Glad your safe and home......what cooled down first your clutch or your wife?
          Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
          The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Probably the wife the clutch would burn every time i reversed the truck to much weight for it. It's a brand new clutch so I'm not worried. Maybe in another 15k of this abusive driving i put it through. The wife was calm through the whole trip she was the one that kept me together. I thought about abandoning it take the parts inside and selling them to make my money back. Glad i didn't

I think tommorrow I'm gonna price air compressors and get me one that way i can paint in my garage. I need to strip this one and get the BP inside of it, adn finish up the suspension/brakes.

Comment

What an adventure !!! Glad your safe !!!

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

glad you made it home safe!!!

Comment

Does the car not have an engine and tranny in it? If not I am assuming, there are no axles in the front spindles? The spindles require the axles so it can keep the bearings in.
                  The Festiva Store
                  Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Yeah i know....i was use to having aspire swaps that i completely forgot that the rotor were pressed on. I was gonna break apart the axels and put that ooutter coupler thing through with the axel stake nut, but didn't feel like ruining 2 good axels. Oh well, lessons learned.

Comment

Yah, I had the same thing happen to me but I was just pushing it across the yard to load it on to a trailer. The bearings were popping out, and the camber was horrible looking. I was able to get the car on the trailer and then take it to the junkyard, so it did not matter as much. Sounds like you had quite the adventure.
                      The Festiva Store
                      Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Well at least you had some tools with you this time. :wink: Whats with the lime green festiva ? The blue one is the one you picked up ? I like the two wheel dolly much better than your tow bar. I like those wheels too. Glad you make it back in one piece. I think you need an equipment upgrade ( truck and Trailer ) if you are going to be doing this on a regular basis. Or a buddy with a truck and trailer. Congrats on # 3 !!
                        sigpic
                        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

WOW Wes , that is one heck of a story :!: :!:

When it rains it pours :lol:
                          That is BAD LUCK for sure !!

Glad you made it , only survivors win

Wes.. did you get my text ??
                          ------------------------------------------------
                          The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                          Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                          HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                          Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                          Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                          Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                          Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                          90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                          It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva
                            Well at least you had some tools with you this time. :wink: Whats with the lime green festiva ? The blue one is the one you picked up ? I like the two wheel dolly much better than your tow bar. I like those wheels too. Glad you make it back in one piece. I think you need an equipment upgrade ( truck and Trailer ) if you are going to be doing this on a regular basis. Or a buddy with a truck and trailer. Congrats on # 3 !!
                            Yeah i picked up the blue mangled turd, more pictures to come in a couple hours when the sun comes up. But anyways... His other festiva the green one looks like jersey suede moss green is his daily driver. He pulled this car cover up which was in the garage next to the festiva and it was a 69 challenger painted the same color but buffed out to a gloss, with 100,000 original miles. He said it was never restored, had a 318 motor, blah blah blah...i wasn't to thrilled about it. Yeah i know i agree i need a 2 car dolly of my own....I've been searching for them on ebay. My truck can pull it fine for short trips. The overheating deal was just a wiring mishap that was my fault in the first place... I'm modding the truck at the moment trrying to squeeze every useable hp out of it possible. It's takes a beating a still runs, and its flex fuel e-85 car so i can't complain.

Comment

i dig the lime green festiva
                              Daily Driver: 90 Festiva 5 spd. lime green, brush guard
                              Another Toy: 06 Harley Sportster 883, intake and exhaust

Comment

Working...
                              X