looking for a muffler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a muffler

I don't know anything about mufflers. Well, that's not exactly true. I know that I have one on my Festiva right now and it needs replaced. I saw this one on ebay. It's a universal fit but I don't know what a good deal is and what isn't when it comes to mufflers. So, here's the link. Let me know what you think.

ebay muffler

It'll probably work but will need some fab work done to make it fit. Says 2.5 inch inlet. I don't know what the diameter of the exhaust pipes are on Festys but I'm pretty sure it's not 2.5 inches....more like 1.5 inches in diameter. Then you'll probably run into problems hanging it, because, I'm only guessing, I doubt it has hangers in the stock locations. Depending on your abilities and the headaches of fabrication, you'd probably have alot less stress getting a non-universal that plug and plays right outta the box...then put a cheap chrome tip on it to make it look "cool" like the one you pointed out on eBay. That's just my 2 cents tho!
    ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
    #2 .....Cheesehead
    #3 '91 White - Donor Car
    #4 .....Montana Project
    SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
    Bought her back for $450
    Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

i got a stock replacement muffler at o'rielys auto parts store for $48.00 last october. it was very easy to install.took about thirty minutes. hardest part was getting the two nuts and bolts off.yhat took twenty of the thirty minutes.
      1960 willys pickup
      1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
      1989 festiva
      1990 festiva for parts
      1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by worfdog
        i got a stock replacement muffler at o'rielys auto parts store for $48.00 last october. it was very easy to install.took about thirty minutes. hardest part was getting the two nuts and bolts off.yhat took twenty of the thirty minutes.
        Gotta love PB Blaster and an impact gun!!

FWIW, that is the route I would go. Fabbing exhaust when you don't have all the parts and benders handy is a real pain in the rear.
        ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
        #2 .....Cheesehead
        #3 '91 White - Donor Car
        #4 .....Montana Project
        SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
        Bought her back for $450
        Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. My brother was going to help me with the welding/fabricating so I'll see what he thinks he can do. When I get this all done, i'm going to have a header on also and most likely remove the cat. So, I'll have the whole exhaust system out at some point in the near future.

Comment

Don't forget to post some pic after you did all this work on your car .

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

I'd suggest just running to an exhaust shop as well. They'll be able to source a stock replacement piece and be able to hang it like the OEM one.

For mine, I had a 2.5" exhaust running from the header back and added a "universal ebay muffler" to that. Got the thing for like $35 shipped and took it to my local exhaust shop who welded in hanger brackets and mounted it up for me.
              Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Go get a cherry bomb turbo, or dynomax turbo, or like muffler at autozone/pepboys/advance instead. They come in 2'' and 2 1/4'' inlets, are much cheaper, better sounding, and less ricey.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                X