Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightweight Trailer Idea Thread!

Little cars need little trailers.

Little high MPG cars need lightweight, low drag trailers even more. Not just "little." Light and easy to pull, with as little wind drag as possible.

Also going along with our values, is "cheap." Dirtcheap helps a lot.

Here is one take on a light trailer:

He modded it for his M/C to pull, so he did a lot of extra work. I like the cartop carrier idea. I wonder how large we can get these carriers? And, via craigslist, etc., how CHEAP.

But what are some other ideas? Plastic tubs, barrels, fiberglass, campertops, etc. are some others. How might these work? What can you scrounge up?

I'm thinking about this lately because I need more hauling capacity. So besides a "tub" like in my linked example, how could we have a "convertable" trailer that would give us a nice dry storage area, but also convert to a flatbed to go pick up an engine or some plywood sheets?

I'll be back later.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Those trailers are dirt cheap, I bought one the other day for a customer to use as a tire trailer. It was $150 or so ath Harbor Freight. To make a convertible just put plywood on the trailer, and install hood pins or something similar that will go through the bottom of the car carrier... done..
    Have had 6 Festys... and counting...

My Website:
    http://www.StanfordMotorSports.com

Car Domain:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Quaddawg
    My Garage Page:
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/vb...o=view&id=6724

Comment

I'm thinking that's the way I should go. All the used trailers I'm seeing under $150 are either the wrong kind or need too much work.

Currently they are priced at $170 for the 12" wheel version. Capacity around 1000 pounds:

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

I may get this. If so, I'll probably get the spare wheel/tire ($40) and the mount for it ($10).

Then I'll have to get a cartop carrier and invent a neat system of custom mounting for various jobs.

Travelling, junkyarding, yardsaling, parasailing, etc.

My hitch is rated at 100 pounds tongue weight and 1000 pounds pull weight, so that shouldn't be a problem.

However, I'm still looking for novel ideas on LW, low drag trailer design.

What other containers are built somewhat like cartop carriers, but are larger? How about mini pickup truck caps? Storage containers? Tanks?

Keep thinking. We need to stretch our imaginations here!

Another idea is to utilize all those poor homeless Festiva rear axle beams after they've been removed from their hosts! Would they make a good base for a trailer suspension after taking out the brake guts? Also, how to fabricate a trailer without welding?

Karl

Comment

I bought the 8" tire version 3 years ago in SC, at the main warehouse, for $99 ! I put it together, but have yet to use it, I always believed the owners manual that said the festy should not tow...... Not long after I found a trailer already built to suit what I needed, so that one has just sat unused
        Maybe now I can put it too use.
        Why not put plywood in, with low siderails, only built as walls, maybe with fiberglass, then put pins in the side, and make a strong tonneau cover for when it rains etc? With the cover on top, and pinned tight to the side, everything should stay dry/in place.
        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

That's really neat.
          Use caution...some weight and drag are necessary...it's thes two forces that keep the trailor on the ground.
          Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
          The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

^^+1, you don't want to look in your rear view mirror and see your trailer airborn. :lol: :lol: :roll:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I want my trailer to be airlight and have WINGS!!

If it's airborne, there'll be no tire friction on the roadway. Better MPGs!

Maybe a small, autogyro type rotor?

I was at HF today and spent some money. Cleaning out my garage and getting organized.

Karl

Comment

^^making room to buy stuff...my kind of day!
                Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

thats a good idea for a feasty if ur goin to take a trip with 4 people in the car, i mean there really is enough space for 4 duffle bags in the back, but if u go campin or somethin in the car, u might need that extra space and that trailer wouldn't slow u down like a cartop carrier
                  "If you're not first you're last!" -Ricky Bobby

-91L "Oliver" Now B6DE swapped with an ATX Capri ECU on a MTX!!!!
                  The little Festy that could...and did!
                  (Gone on to a new life)
                  -90 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer

Comment

Not exactly the lightest but I could make it lighter. It's a 4x6 straight axle (no springs). Got it fairly cheap. I'm turning it into our camping trailer. Up front will be a toolbox from a s10 for the dirty stuff cleaner stuff will be in the carrier, chairs or a cooler will be strapped next to the carrier, wood will and other stuff will go under the carrier. If it was lighter I don't see how a festiva/aspire couldn't pull it. In that pic it has about 750lbs of busted up concrete probably would be able to pull that though.
                    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Cool trailer!

Eric, have you had that thing up to freeway speeds? How does it do without springs?

Karl

Comment

Yup several times this will be it's third 200 mile trip. I usually don't go over 65mph with it. From what I can tell it really doesn't do too bad without springs. I've heard alot of complaints about trailers with springs bouncing. I saw a small trailer coming home yesterday and the tires was actually leaving the ground with every bump!! I know this trailer is twice as strong as my grandpa's harbor freight trailer does need some work to the tongue. That setup is only version one.. my wife told me if camping in the Escape works we're going somewhere every other weekend.. going to need a makeover for that many miles!
                        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Here a nice one! http://tinyurl.com/k9ssa
                          Brian
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                          :fish:

Comment

A very good friend of mine has a 62' Vw dune buggy and he has a trailer very similar to the first one pictured. He has gone camping several times, it hold alot more stuff than you think. I know that if the tiny VW with only 60 Hp can pull it, heck a bicycle could pull it. Also, as talked about earlier, if you make it too light it will bounce and go air born also don't forget about fishtailing. All very bad, plus don't forget you want a little more weight towards the toung if not it will be bad too!

Comment

SafteyGuy,

Came acrossed this at our brothers at ecomodder.com:

I was thinking about building a small trailer to pull behind the Metro. It would be fairly light weight and used for camping supplies, fishing equip.,
                              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                              Your holy ghost will not save you.
                              Your God plutonium will not save you.
                              In fact...
                              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                              X