Oil change interval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil change interval

We have a new 08 Escape with a V6 and it has the oil change alert on the dash computer. The 1st change was reminder came on at 3500 miles and I did it at 4200.

So I reset the computer and expected a reminder at 3500 mies. No reminder. The owners manual says the default is 7500 miles but you can over ride this to reduce this number.

I'm using motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend oil.

How long should I be going between changes? 7500 seems too long.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Yeah it does seem long. But it is synthetic oil, so 7500 may be all right for it. Of course adjusted accordingly for how much city/hwy driving you are doing. Nothng you dont already know.
    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
    - Unknown
    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

My 2007 Ford Focus Owner's Manual.....7500K/5W-20syn...same as your Escape.
      Ive been changing it every 4 months or 4 k, what ever comes first....cann't hurt. I'm an old 3 months/3k guy....it hard to make the change.
      The oil still has a translucent color after it drains.
      I found Wal-Mart has the best price for MotorCraft 5W-20syn....$12 and change for 5QT jug.
      Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
      The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

I find with most new cars the oil change intervals are farther and farther apart....go check a BMW(i think its bmw) its crazy how long they say. At Mazda the reccomended its 8000 kms between oil changes. I dont know if they think the engines are just cleaner now than before or what but I have seen Mazdas with high milage (200 000kms) come through with no wear problems under the recommended serivce.

-Scott
        Aqua 93 L
        Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
        White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

don't follow the owners manual.........

just wait until thick blue smoke comes out of the tailpipe, before you change your oil.
          that way you know you got your moneys worth out of the synthetic oil

Comment

My Explorer you can change the setting for how many miles between oil changes.
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

It takes a LONG time for synthetic to degrade, 8-10k miles, but paper filters contribute to silicon, etc in the oil as they break down..

That said, I change my wifes oil in her honda element between 8-9000 miles, with Rotella T synthetic or pennzoil platinum.
              still nice and clean when i change it too, its jsut such a pita to get to the filter on this vehicle.

Comment

Working...
              X