Purchasing vehicle from private seller in OHIO ?s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing vehicle from private seller in OHIO ?s

I have a question about buying a car in ohio. and the rules of getting it home.

say i purchase it. What else do i have to do before i can drive it home 100 and some odd number miles away. in the same state.

thank you.

if you cant understand the question let me know il try to re word it.

never bought a car. just wondering what i have to do.

In PA, you would have to go to a notary... There, the seller will sign the title over to you, in the presence of a notary so that it's "on the books", incase something happens on the way home. You'll also complete the necessary forms there to register the car to you, transfer plates, etc.

I'm not sure that it the same for Ohio... But it's a good guess. (and if not - we've got 1/2 of the Ohio Festiva owners represented here)...
    Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

I love your avatar Seth my car looks just like that when I take off. (Puff of smoke from rear)

Comment

Call the state highway patrol and ask them what the rules are.

Comment

well in the past ive just put home made in-transits in the window and driven it home. after all you will have all the paperwork, the title in hand, bill of sale, so you have proof of ownership. you risk getting stopped cuz cops love to check in-transits, but you would have all the paperwork. if you do want to make sure, id do as dave said and call. might ease your mind anyway. goodluck.
          "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

thanks i will call.

that puff of smoke might not be healthy

Comment

i would have some insurance myself on it before i drove it home.
              1960 willys pickup
              1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
              1989 festiva
              1990 festiva for parts
              1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

I have talked to the State Hwy patrol in numerous states...brought a car back from Maryland, You have 24 hrs from the time of purchase to get the car back to your place. It only needs to be signed and notarized for the seller...you will be able to get your end of it taken care of when you title it in your name. Insurance companies normally give you 30 days from time of buying a new care to get it listed on your insurance....provided you have insurance to begin with...lol.
                Hope that helps. You should have no problem so long as you have your paperwork in order. I did get pulled over once by the SHP in Ohio....almost all the way home and they looked at the paperwork and sent me on my way.
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Ohio Law states you have the title notarized into your name, you MUST have liability insurance on the car, and you must purchase a 30 day temporary tag at a BMV. The plates stay with the person, not the car. That being said, I have never had any trouble driving a car home without 30 day tags, but you ARE supposed to have them. I have bought a lot of cars in Ohio, and I live in Ohio, so I do this all the time.

I do think you have a certain amount of time to transfer your plates to your new car, but you still have to have SOME sort of plate on the car. If it is a second (or third or fourth) car, then you won't HAVE plates to use until you transfer them, so you have to get the 30 day tag.
                  Have had 6 Festys... and counting...

My Website:
                  http://www.StanfordMotorSports.com

Car Domain:
                  http://www.cardomain.com/id/Quaddawg
                  My Garage Page:
                  http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/vb...o=view&id=6724

Comment

Seth did you buy Nathens car?
                    Brian
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                    :fish:

Comment

my friend is buying nathans cars, but im driving it for a while. cause he cant drive stick nor does he have a license. haha you can say i talked him into it. and i get the capri. =]

thanks guys. il probably call my insurance company and ask about it.

Comment

Originally posted by quaddawg View Post
                        Ohio Law states you have the title notarized into your name, you MUST have liability insurance on the car, and you must purchase a 30 day temporary tag at a BMV. The plates stay with the person, not the car. That being said, I have never had any trouble driving a car home without 30 day tags, but you ARE supposed to have them. I have bought a lot of cars in Ohio, and I live in Ohio, so I do this all the time.

I do think you have a certain amount of time to transfer your plates to your new car, but you still have to have SOME sort of plate on the car. If it is a second (or third or fourth) car, then you won't HAVE plates to use until you transfer them, so you have to get the 30 day tag.
                        Not to argue with you but in Ohio and adjoining states...you have 24 hours to move a vehicle that you purchased without a plate of any kind. I did this last year or so when I purchased a car from Maryland. The seller gets the title notarized with his signature, then when you pick it up you fill in your info on the back and go along your way. Once the 24 hours is up you either have to have temp tags or a real plate. I was actually pulled over when I got back to Ohio by the State Patrol and all he did was look at my paperwork and asked if he could buy the car....after telling him no he sent me on my saying I may get pulled over again for no plate but just show them the paperwork and all will be fine, As for insurance...any company I have ever had gives you 30 days on a new car purchase to list it with them...so as long as you already have existing insurance....you are covered for the drive home.
                        89L Silver EFI auto
                        91GL Green Auto DD
                        I will sleep when I die!
                        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

That's a new one on me. I guess I get to call my local BMV and argue with them, cause that isn't what they told me yesterday.

OK, that IS nice to know though.. is that written anywhere??
                          Have had 6 Festys... and counting...

My Website:
                          http://www.StanfordMotorSports.com

Car Domain:
                          http://www.cardomain.com/id/Quaddawg
                          My Garage Page:
                          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/vb...o=view&id=6724

Comment

it may be but I am not sure....I know Doug had stated something similar to that before also. I made calls for a week before I picked the car up and I think the finale answer came from the Hwy Patrol of each state I was going through...from what I remember the bmv was clueless and kept telling me they didn't know the answer.
                            89L Silver EFI auto
                            91GL Green Auto DD
                            I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Working...
                            X