Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of a dilema!!!

I am 16 right now, 17 in June.......

My sister just finished up her first year at GA Tech and is coming home to work at the new amphitheater in town. She is going to need to use the Integra to get to and from work so I will have to give it up for the summer.(The Integra is my DD)

I want(need) to get a job this summer but the Festiva is by no means capable being my summer car. Suspension is shot, tires are gone, engine and tranny are toast, and my exhaust is rusted out.

My father and I went to the junkyard and I found exactly what I was looking for. Complete BP swap w/5 speed g25 trans and decent miles. He does not think the car is worthy of all the work though. I have a hard time justifying all the work that it would take to swap(mounts, wiring(carbed car) and just the swap itself). We did not get it.

On the way back from the junkyard, we got talking. He tells me if I get rid of the Tiva, he will help fund any other project. This means a Miata. I have always wanted a Miata, and I think my father has too. If I got one it would end up turboed with nice suspension and wheels.

I hate this soo much. I love the festiva, but it is so hard to give it the attention it demands. It would take A LOT of work to make it a daily diving canidate for the summer.

If I keep the Festiva, I can continue my slow progress, but I will drop the Idea of BP w/ G25r, and I have decided to do a B6d swap with a aspire 5 speed trans. I already have aspire suspension sitting in my basement waiting for the overhall.

If I go with a Miata, I will go buck wild with mods.

If I do sell my Festiva however, get ready, because it will go for cheap.

What do you guys think?

Kevin
    Last edited by av8ter; 04-29-2008, 08:15 PM.

I think in the long run redoing the Festiva will be cheaper. And how bad can the Festiva be? It is a southern car.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Is space a factor? Why should you have to get rid of the Festiva to get the Miata? You said it would take alot of work to make it a daily driver. Why not take the slow route with it and make it a weekend warrior? Do what you want to the Miata. Keep the Festiva waiting in the wings for its shot at rebirth. Just a thought.
      Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
      - Unknown
      I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
      - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
      - Bumper Sticker

Comment

My dad is kind of against the festiva. It will be much cheaper in the long run to build up the festiva, but he does not want to be a part of it. I really want a father son project and that is what the miata would be.

I am trying to convince him to let me keep the festiva on the backburner, and still get a miata. I KNOW he would drive the miata just as much as I would. He loves light, nimble, and semi quick cars. I really don't understand why he hasn't taken an attraction to the Festiva.

Kevin

Comment

Miata with a JDM FE3 motor, rx7 trans and rx7 rear. Add a turbo and kill everything in town.

something like this:

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
          BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
          BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
          New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

If you are loking for opinions, here's one. Take your Dad up on his offer. At your age, on his dime, this will be your one shot at spending time doing this with him like you never will again. Save parts in the corner for later when you build a car on YOUR dime. Enjoy this time in your life. Real responsibilities will hit you very soon. Enjoy the fact that you have that Dad that wants to build a sports car with you, and remember..... this may be HIS only chance to have that car too. It works both ways. Take this from a guy that's probably your Dads age. It could be worse, you know..... I want to put MY kids in a Checker.........

Michael
            Have owned 9 so far
            White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
            Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
            Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
            Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
            Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

We will need to see a few pictures of your sister to really be able to offer the best advice ... ;-)

Hey, I'm only kidding here!

Seriously, even if you get rid of the festiva now you can always keep your eyes open for a fuel injected one with a bad motor that would get you much closer to your BP swap. My advice is to stash away a couple of hundred dollars (if you can) so that when/if the next festiva appears, you will have the $ to make a deal.

Good luck!
              I'm going to come at you like a spider monkey!
              White 1993 L plus, 5 speed - 47k miles
              * Aspire brake swap, 14" Miata wheels & Tein coliover suspension

Comment

Rebuild what you have....no swap....cheap and quick...good learning experience...then go for the Miata

b8kedbeans....LMAO
                Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Rebuild a Carbed 4 spd? Are you crazy? I would rather spend the rebuild money on a b6d and aspire trans.........

I have already gotten attached to this car. It would be really hard to give it up.

I will talk to padre some more tomorrow............

Comment

Careful, now... The Curmudgeon sez he does just fine on his Bilsteins/sport springs, high durometer goodies,strut bar,Konigs,Mazdaspeed seats, Infinity 12" subs w/ Alpine amp 6 1/2" times 4, sat radio, Subaru STI scoops, FMS body parts 89 ATX distributor,
                    ......AND...... carb with a 4 spd @ 40 MPG thank you very much!
                    Shtinky sez a new crate B3 w/ FMS performance camshaft, and lightened flywheel @ same mileage is a blast too!

Michael
                    Have owned 9 so far
                    White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                    Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                    Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                    Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                    Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

go with what m715 said......

keep the fest for a later project you can slowly work on on the side...

good luck

Comment

Kevin, it sounds like he really wants the Miata.

Is space at a premium? Will HE fund all the Miata work?

If you could keep your Festiva, or at least keep all the Festiva/Aspire goodies you have collected, maybe you could do a Festiva in the future.

Emphasize that gas prices are NOT getting cheaper! Emphasize that a Miata won't be as practical as a Festiva, nor hold as much cargo. Insurance will be MORE on the Miata.

Emphasize that the Miata can be in his name for lower insurance and a Festiva--your current one or a later FI one--can eventually become YOUR car.

I'd go with a B6 swap for your first one anyway. Remember those gas prices, and prices in general!

Also, has your Dad looked at our site here? Get him on here and let him see the support you have for your first passion!

Karl
                        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

My ins. is only $320 a year!!!(for the festy at least)

He knows what it means to me.

I would LOVE a miata!!!!!!

I think the best combo in the entire world would be a B6d Festiva and a 250hp turbo miata 1.8!!!!!!!! MAZDA FTW!!!!!

I am going to try really hard to convince him.

Comment

Originally posted by m715 View Post
                            If you are loking for opinions, here's one. Take your Dad up on his offer. At your age, on his dime, this will be your one shot at spending time doing this with him like you never will again. Save parts in the corner for later when you build a car on YOUR dime. Enjoy this time in your life. Real responsibilities will hit you very soon. Enjoy the fact that you have that Dad that wants to build a sports car with you, and remember..... this may be HIS only chance to have that car too. It works both ways. Take this from a guy that's probably your Dads age. It could be worse, you know..... I want to put MY kids in a Checker.........

Michael

I couldn't agree more. Take a look into the future. The time will come when you will look back at this decision and either remember building a car by yourself without support from your Dad, or you'll remember building a car with your Dad and with his support. You'll remember laughing over silly things, grumbling together about stubborn bolts, discussing the best method to complete the right mod. Don't just build a car by yourself, build a relationship with your Dad and mod it out.

Comment

^^good point^^
                              Things happen in the future that we cant control. But those memories are there forever.
                              Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                              - Unknown
                              I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                              - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                              - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Working...
                              X