New Alt?? Good Price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Alt?? Good Price

well i was talking to a guy that makes alts.

he can make me a 160amp (direct bolt on) for 250 shipped.

honestly what you guys think???

i was gonna do the double alts but wouldnt that be 120 total amps.

lmk.

btw if any are interested, with a group buy of 10 or more, it'll be 200 shipped in the USA

maybe it may fry the wiring but i am not sure. others chime in on this subject.

Comment

160 amps is way overkill unless you're planning on doing up your Festiva Pimp My Ride style with a buch of TV's and speakers and all manner of electric gadgetry. I think the stock Festiva alternator was 50 amp if I remember right, and always got the job done in my Festivas, even the one with aftermarket stereo and speakers. The 50 amp ones run about $120 if I remember right.
      Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
      Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
      White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
      White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
      Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
      Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
      Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
      White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

45 amp with MTX 88&9 50 was the big dog that came out with the funky FI and ATX in 89!
        Last edited by m715; 05-08-2008, 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling!
        Have owned 9 so far
        White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
        Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
        Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
        Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
        Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

If you are going to put in a 160 amp alternator, you would have to upgrade the main wire coming off the alternator. I would send it directly to the battery. If it goes to a distribution block or anything else, all that should be upgraded till it gets to the battery. The rest of the wires in the car will be fine because they will still only draw the same amount of power. I imagine the only reason one would need such excessive power in a festiva is to run ALOT of extra lights or an overkill sound system. But at the same rate, they should have capacitors in their sound system to help to make the power draw linear. At any rate, I doubt any would use a 160 amp alternator in a festiva to its full extent, unless they were using it to weld..... That's a different story all together...
          The Festiva Store
          Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

You mean like Buddy Hackett did to Herbie? But with a MIG?
            Have owned 9 so far
            Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!

Comment

:p

M715, your going to have to explain who Buddy Hackett is to some of the crowd here!

Originally posted by m715 View Post
              You mean like Buddy Hackett did to Herbie? But with a MIG?
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

you see i want to run a set of components in the front, keepmy 6x9 in the back and run those to a 4 channel amp

as for subs, i want two 1510 DD, about600 rms each to a 2 channel amp

this would be the only reason on running a higher amp alt

now if there is any way to run All this on the stock alt, i will.

Comment

Showing my age huh? In the ORIGINAL movie "The Love Bug", Herbie had run so hard that he began to split apart during the "big race of races" scene. Buddy Hackett was the mechanic who took care of "the little car", and he oxy/acetelene welded Herbie back together DURING the race. See what we old folks can come up with in our minds for memories? Whoa! Michelle Lee !!!!!!

Michael
                  Have owned 9 so far

Comment

I believe Buddy Hackett's character's name was Tennessee Stienmetz, and he went the right route with the oxyacetylene torch, no modifications needed to Herbie's 6 volt electrical system. Collegeboi,you should consider an oxyacetylene stereo system.

Dean Jones (Jim Douglass, Herbie's driver) went to college in the town where I grew up. Anybody ever see a #53 Festiva?
                    Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
                    Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
                    White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
                    White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
                    Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
                    Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
                    Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
                    White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Man that's overkill big time. You can get a 323 alt that ups your amps by 10 - 20 for cheap at a junk yard or ebay. Like $20 - $40. But I never had a need for a better alternator. As a matter of fact I've only had 1 alt go bad in 15 festivas.
                      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboi View Post
                        you see i want to run a set of components in the front, keepmy 6x9 in the back and run those to a 4 channel amp

as for subs, i want two 1510 DD, about600 rms each to a 2 channel amp

this would be the only reason on running a higher amp alt

now if there is any way to run All this on the stock alt, i will.
                        You won't a 160 amp alternator to run this. I would go the route carbon suggested. If you run an alternator at full capacity all the time it will burn out. It doesn't matter how nice or expensive the alternator is. You should always have a buffer zone between what you need and what you can produce. The components and the 6x9s won't be drawing alot of power and it would be safe to run the stock alternator with just that amp. The subs is where you will want to bump up the alternator. The 323 alternator should fit that bill perfectly. Are planning on thumping while driving or while parked? If while parked, I would look at bumping up your idle while you thump, that way the strain on the alternator is not as great. Also turn off the lights and any other accessories that way the sound system can have as much of the alternator as it wants. A load bank would be ideal for consistent sound production, but I don't think that is feasible. Never really looked into those for sound systems.
                        The Festiva Store
                        Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                          :p

M715, your going to have to explain who Buddy Hackett is to some of the crowd here!

B..b...b....b...b...b...buddy who?
                          Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                          The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Hopefully Damkid will chime in!
                            I beleive he pushes a fair amount of power through his system and think he runs the OEM Alt.
                            You might better spend your money on a larger higher capacity battery up front and a second in the back to power the the peak load.
                            Also, I question the ability to output that amount of amps from a rewired OEM alt or was this a custom built unit that will be built to fit into the existing mount area.
                            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                            '92 Aqua parts Car
                            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                            Your holy ghost will not save you.
                            Your God plutonium will not save you.
                            In fact...
                            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

i have a protege alt in my festiva when it had the b6-e it was 65-70 amps i do believe.
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Working...
                              X