Steamy windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steamy windows

Does anyone else have a problem with their windows fogging up? It doesn't matter if it 30 degrees and snowing or 90 degrees and raining, my windows fog up really bad. The heater only helps where it blows out at the base of the windshield.
    Red 89LX 5speed
    Aqua 90L 5speed
    Blue 97 Aspire Auto

You need to check for leaks at you windows and doors, also check the little plugs under the spare, I used to get lots of water in thru those.
    Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

Yeah there is something wrong, that's not normal. Can you smell anti-freeze? Maybe you have a heater core leak. Windows will fog up quickly if you are on recirc mode rather than fresh air mode when it's cold out. But that shouldn't matter much when it's hot out.

Comment

I thought my car had an automatic sensor that activated foggy windows....activated by dark - dead end road, female passenger, car not moving, and a police officer tapping on the window and saying....hey old man aren't you a little to old for this kind of thing
        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

I do have the syrup smell when I turn on the heat. So I suppose a leaky heater core. I doesn't really fog that bad when I use the heat. It usually just doesn't help it any. 95 percent of the time my windows only fog up really bad is when percipitation hits them then it fogs so bad you have to pull over. The heat doesn't help, if I wipe them off, it fogs back up as quick as I wipe.
          Red 89LX 5speed
          Aqua 90L 5speed
          Blue 97 Aspire Auto

Comment

I have an entire heater box with a good core in it if you need one.

Comment

i used to have that problem at the drive-in movies. i just laid off the loving a little bit and the windows cleared up some.
              1960 willys pickup
              1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
              1989 festiva
              1990 festiva for parts
              1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

I have the same problem and my solution is to put the lever on fresh air instead of recirculate. It really sucks for winter though, as taking fresh air from the outside cancels any heat coming from the weak heating system. I think the cause may be the low heating capability and the medium blowing capacity of the heater's blower. All my other cars heated much more than the Festy and the blower had a 4th speed, and I never had fogging issues...Putting the blower on max speed with full heat would make it go away, except on a Festy...
                The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

I read in another thread, wash your windows with johnson's baby shampoo. I'm going to try it, maybe it will work.
                  Red 89LX 5speed
                  Aqua 90L 5speed
                  Blue 97 Aspire Auto

Comment

Originally posted by EDfestiva View Post
                    I read in another thread, wash your windows with johnson's baby shampoo. I'm going to try it, maybe it will work.

I have the same problem, so let us know if it works.
                    93 festiva aka "the sexy"
                    04 blown GT stang
                    99 wrangler (in the middle of a 5.2 swap)

Comment

Mine does that... I used some anti-fog wipes I grabbed at the auto store and they seemed to work a little bit. Not having a heater core doesn't help though.
                      Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

The problem you're having is that something inside the car is wet. Maybe carpeting, maybe pooled water in your spare tire area....

I've had the problem plenty of times. If you leave a window open over night, then next day there is moisture on the inside of the windshield. So make sure you close the windows every night and try to find the wet area.

I had a buick lesabre that had a small rust hole over the rear passenger wheel. Every time it rained, the tire sprayed water into the car and filled the spare tire cut out. Windows were foggy all of the time.

Comment

I am sorry but I beg to differ. I believe that the small size of the cabin in our cars makes it much easier to steam up. Especially when the temp is up and down. On a cool night I can get in my car and it steams within seconds....it takes moving and windows cracked to get it to unsteam. If I had standing water in the car , when the sun is beating down on it at work all day it would form wtare droplets on the windows from evaporation. I know that wet conditions outside affect it too....but when it is dry outside all week.... all it takes is a little cooling off and the temp in the cabin to not agree with the outside and you will have foggy windows. Every Festy I have and have had does it very easily.
                          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                          89L Silver EFI auto
                          91GL Green Auto DD
                          There ain't no rest for the wicked
                          until we close our eyes for good.
                          I will sleep when I die!
                          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
                          X