problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems

my car wont start. the batterys charged. no lights in the cab. starter wont even begin to turn. head lights work. any advice???
    Later!

Need more data!
    Year
    ATX or manual?
    what was the last thing you did to it?
    When did it last start OK?
    Have you checked fusable links underhood attached to the driverside struct tower?
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

91 manual. stick
      Later!

Comment

um it ran yesterday. i tryed push starting it.
        Later!

Comment

im not que shure what the fuseal links are?? i chesked the fuses under the hood if thats what ur tlkin about.
          Later!

Comment

Fusible link could be it with the cabin lights out.
            The cables to the starter, or the ground leads on the engine, or the ground on the battery may be corroded and need cleaning. The starter draws so much more current than anything else, that having headlights does not prove the ground is good. Also, the secondary cable that comes off the positive terminal and supplies the ignition switch and all it does can come loose at the battery.
            Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
            Icetiva-3-race-car-build
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

i checked all those wires, cleaned them a lil. still nothing. im not shure if this has any thing to do with it but last night when i would push in the breaks the inside lights would shut off.
              Later!

Comment

Put a voltmeter on the lighter wiring that goes to the starter and see if it gets 12 v when you try to crank the starter. See if it makes a difference if the clutch is in or out.

Earlier you said there were no cabin lights, now you say they are on but go off with the brake pedal. That's confusing. But anyhow, so long as you do not have your foot on the brake when trying to start it, that symptom should not stop you from starting. Not sure what it is telling you about what might be wrong though.
                Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
                Icetiva-3-race-car-build
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Do you get any sound from the starter at all when trying to start?

When you tried to push start it, what happened?
                  '92 Aqua parts Car
                  '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

last night it was running, but when i got to my drive way i shut it off and all the cab lights went off. before that they would only go out when i hit the break. when i tryed to push start it it woulden't. it acted like the spark plugs weren't firing. i got no sound from the starter at all when i try to start it.
                    Later!

Comment

no voltage reader, is there any thing else i can use to check my power to my starter??
                      Later!

Comment

OK!
                        Can you by pass the starter solenoid to see if you have a functioning starter and a failed solenoid. Use insulated goves and be very careful not to touch any thing else but the terminal oposite from were the Plus(+) cable attaches to the solenoid. Makes sure your car is in neutral and the emergency brake is engaged and you are not standing infront of the car!
                        But this wouldn't explain the interior light/brake application issue.
                        But One thing at a time!
                        '92 Aqua parts Car
                        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I'd say the middle fusible link... Could've blown from a semi-drained battery?

Had it happen to my Festiva... Blew through 5 links in 2 days until I had the battery tested and charged at AutoZone...

Go to the local autoparts store and get one of the big fused, female fuses in 30A... Pull out the wired link and replace with one of these fuses... See if that fixes it.

Mine blew, I had no starter, no interior lights, etc. Headlights will still work because they're on another fusible link by themselves.
                          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Here's a topic discussing swapping the fusible linked wires over to the cartride style ones...

We can't seem to source a picture of one... So if I remember tonight, I'll snap one of what I'm using. I'd suggest that before going any further in depth... I suspect this will fix your problem.
                            Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

the fuse up by the driver side strut tower isnt blown. is that the one ur tlking about or is there another??
                              Later!

Comment

Working...
                              X