Another News Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another News Story

Suzanne Mitchell and her tiny 1992 Ford Festiva L have had quite the love affair. "We bought it when we left (New York City) and moved to the suburbs," says Mitchell, who lives in Rockland County, N.Y. She started using the Festiva to commute to her job as a TV producer. The years, and the miles, rolled by.

Today the Festiva has about 250,000 miles -- not bad for a car that cost her $5,600 new.
    So much does Mitchell love this car that when the odometer approached 200,000 miles she threw a "Fiesta for the Festiva," complete with margaritas, Mexican food and a piņata filled with toy cars. About 10 people jammed into the Festiva -- including a cameraman -- to watch the odometer turn over.
    Why does Mitchell adore it so? It isn't because it's beautiful. In fact, it's runty, stripped-down and tinny. But others love the Festiva, too: "I could be driving in a Bentley Continental GT, and nobody would care where I got it," Mitchell says. Yet several times each year people leave notes on the Festiva asking if she wants to sell it. "Not only notes -- but people will signal me or give me the thumbs up," she says.
    "It's just incredibly, highly efficient," Mitchell says, explaining that a fill-up costs only about $15 and that the car still gets in the "high 30s" for gas mileage. "It's perfect for the city" -- shorter than her family's Mini Cooper by 4 inches, she says, yet there's more interior room than the Mini.
    What has she done to keep it going? "Nothing. We repair a little rust. And I swear I've only done oil changes. And we recently put a strut in. But anybody would have to do that for a car that old." The car has never been garaged, either. It helps that the car gets mostly highway miles, Mitchell adds.

Her advice:
    • Change that oil. "My husband completely disagrees with me, but I change the oil religiously every 3,000 miles; hey, it works for me." (Other experts say to stick to the oil-change regimen prescribed by the owner's manual, whatever that is.)
    • Think simple. An inexpensive car like the Festiva has almost no electronics -- and therefore less that can send it to the mechanic, says Mitchell. Unfortunately, they don't make them much like that anymore.
    Simon - pimptiva.com

I absolutely hate the fact we are getting so much publicity! Gonna drive prices up! I am on the serious hunt for as many and as cheap as I can get, because it's a better investment than any savings account will give you!
    ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
    #2 .....Cheesehead
    #3 '91 White - Donor Car
    #4 .....Montana Project
    SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
    Bought her back for $450
    Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

Originally posted by Levitan View Post
      I absolutely hate the fact we are getting so much publicity! Gonna drive prices up!
      good thing i got 2 then :lol:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Levitan View Post
        I absolutely hate the fact we are getting so much publicity! Gonna drive prices up! I am on the serious hunt for as many and as cheap as I can get, because it's a better investment than any savings account will give you!
        I have already noticed that the price of Festivas on eBay, when they have them are half again to twice as much as they were a year ago. The secret is out, it would seem.

I am fortunate to have three driveable ones and a parts car. I am always looking for more though.
        Last edited by hawkdoc60; 05-21-2008, 03:32 PM. Reason: Adding information
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
        88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
        88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
        06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

I'll never have one if this crap keeps up!
          Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
          1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
          2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
          2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

I guess I should get my dad and I to buy the other 3 in Syracuse, have to talk to him tonight. They arn't in great shape, but a little TLC could go a long way.

Logan

I have been spoiled by my two rust free beauties. Everytime someone comments on them its "surprised they are in that good of condition for NY"

Comment

Logan - I know that feeling... My car was originally from Arizona, then moved to Texas... There's not a spot of rust on this thing.
              Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Yea I am fortunate to have 4 running Festivas with 3 being rust free!
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

I still get e-mails for my 88 I sold last month for $400 dollars so I thought I would have some fun with one of the guys sending me mail. I told him, I'v sold the 88, but I have a very well optioned 90 5speed w/ac mud flaps chrome rings and hatch light that I might sell for $2100. I figured he would get a laugh at that, but to my suprise he sent me a reply that he'd have to pull some strings, but would come up with the money!! I sent him back saying I was joking and had no intition of selling my car. But WOW, 2100? I should have posted the 88 for more!!!
                  Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

Yep, it's neat to see the publicity, but not good to see prices go up.

Especially those of us who liked them before they became "cool."

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Sounds like the makings of a country song: "I drove a Festy, when a Festy wasn't cool".

The drivers of the big gas guzzlers grind their teeth when they read this on my hatch: "This car gets 42 MPG... who's laughing NOW?" One guy asked the other day, "Do you really get 42 MPG?" Answer was, "Yeah, pretty much. But I do fill it up every 2 weeks or so, whether I need to or not."

More teeth grinding was observed. Oooohh-raaaah

IMHO: Festiva = Good Gas Smileage

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
                      In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

Working...
                      X