The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

First, I want to say that it was great meeting a bunch of you on Saturday. It is always good to put faces to names. I had a great time and wish that I could have gone to the park, too. This fall, I plan on bringing one or both Festies with me.

Some of you know that I was the winner of the two Silver Festies that closed on eBay last weekend. After I left Summit, I went to the guy's place to pick them up. These were an 88 L with a 4 speed, and a 91 L with a 5 speed.

I get there and the rear whells of the 88 were locked up. I spent over two hours and a trip to the auto parts store for bearings to get this one so I could dolly it 40 miles to Wadsworth where my house is. I ultimately just removed the rear brake shoes. As I had the wheels off, I noticed that road cancer ate up most of the bottom of the car. The rear axle was ultimately garbage because of this. He started to pull the fuel tank to put on the 91, but it looked in as bad condition as the 91's.

The 91 was running and driveable, but the gear shift was very sloppy and there was a massive exhaust leak, so it was quite loud. I towed the 88 and my wife followed in the 91.

I stripped off some parts from the 88 for my Silver Bullet. This car broke my heart because it is ultimately in better shape than the 91, but the rust is beyond any repair. My father-in-law disagrees, so we'll leave that up in the air for now. The engine was not leaking to speak of and when I hooked the battery up, it cranked right over and sounded good. There was a lot of rust in the engine bay, too. I will say that when I pulled the intake manifold off, the cooling system was still pressurized and it sprayed some water. The antifreeze was green and not rust orange, too, which is a plus.

For the drive to PA, I drove the 91 and my wife drove my Rodeo. It leaks oil pretty good, but it was still very peppy. It is ate up pretty bad with rust, too. I'm glad the stereo worked to help drown out the exhaust leak. It'll be stripped here soon, too. The interior of this one is garbage, but the 88's interior is great.

I don't have photos yet, but I will post photos of the death-trap (91) when I get the chance.

Once I inventory the good parts from both vehicles and use what I need, I'll make anything else available. If you have any advance requests, let me know and I'll see if there is any serviceable items any of you might need.

I'll let you know how things go as I make progress.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
    88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
    88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
    06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Glad to hear it worked out .....................sort of!
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

I went and looked at them since they were 15 miles from me.I bid up to $600+You got me by , like , 20 bucks.I wanted that 88 interior.It WAS really nice,plus a few other parts.you should be able to get what you want and eventually get your $$ back or close to it.Nice deal,I thought.He told me about the rear being frozen.He should have listed it.He was so surprised how high it got.

Comment

Congrats on the buys! And glad you got them both home safely...

edit - I'm a little north of Harrisburg if you're ever in the area!
        Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

As a matter of fact, I work in New Cumberland at Capital City Airport. I also am attending HACC in Harrisburg and getting ready to transfer to Penn State Harrisburg.
          http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
          88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
          88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
          06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

Working...
          X