Parts Train Festiva Slam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts Train Festiva Slam

I was at the Parts Train site yesterday and here is their write up about the festiva. They wont be getting any of my festiva parts business.

"There were only a few reasons why people during its time would buy a Ford Festiva. At its very affordable price, most first time car buyers were easily attracted to it. It also promises a comfortable ride and is practical for everyday use. The car, however, is unrefined in most aspects compared to its slightly higher priced competitors. Its engine won’t get you revving at high speeds and it the car is easily prone to roll-overs. "

I never knew about the roll-over tendency.
    sigpic
    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Whatever on the rollovers. I have pulled dozens of wet pavement 55 mph e-brake 360's without rolling over. And dozens of 25 mph dirt and gravel e-brake 180's w/o rolling over. I even popped a tire off the rim doing e-braking in the gravel without rolling over. Parts train needs a few angry emails to straighten them out!
    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
      I was at the Parts Train site yesterday and here is their write up about the festiva. They wont be getting any of my festiva parts business.

"There were only a few reasons why people during its time would buy a Ford Festiva. At its very affordable price, most first time car buyers were easily attracted to it. It also promises a comfortable ride and is practical for everyday use. The car, however, is unrefined in most aspects compared to its slightly higher priced competitors. Its engine won’t get you revving at high speeds and it the car is easily prone to roll-overs. "

I never knew about the roll-over tendency.

Thats one thing that has always amazed me is everyone talking down on a car due to rollovers...yeah if your taking a curve way to fast ANYTHING will roll over lol. I personally think the rollover part is at fault of the driver...not neccesarily the car.

Comment

That's the same thing my dad told me before I bought my Jeep... "You'll roll it over!"...
        Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Originally posted by carbonvmax View Post
          Whatever on the rollovers. I have pulled dozens of wet pavement 55 mph e-brake 360's without rolling over. And dozens of 25 mph dirt and gravel e-brake 180's w/o rolling over. I even popped a tire off the rim doing e-braking in the gravel without rolling over. Parts train needs a few angry emails to straighten them out!
          I've had many 80 mph deer jerks - jerk it toward the opposite ditch - crank it back - recover before skid

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
          92 GL - parts car
          97 aspire - parts car
          87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
          http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
          Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Compared to any solid axle SUV, the whatever rollover tendency the Festiva may have is nothing.
            Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
            Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
            White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
            White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
            Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
            Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
            Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
            White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

In the early '90s I hit a patch of black ice in the Silver Bullet and spun around on the interstate. I ended up going into the median sideways and none of the Silver Bullet's four wheels ever left the ground.

In 04, I hit ice on the interstate in my Isuzu Rodeo and after it was all said and done, it was on its side with me and my family in it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I believe that the Festiva's center of gravity is way too low to make it prone to rollovers.
              http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
              88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
              88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
              06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

Hey - I think Parts Train is just copying other write-ups. I doubt if it is their own. I never felt any inkling what so ever of a roll-over even with a blow-out. By the way, the Ford Explorer roll-over episode was all blamed on tires. I'll share this thought with you - Car manufacturers (as cheap as they are), give you a spare tire with almost every car you buy. That is because tires will occasionally fail. If Ford can't design a vehicle that will stay right side up if a tire fails, SHAME on them. SUV roll-over are a big problem - I have never heard that Festiva roll-over are. Never had a Festiva roll over when a tire failed (which over the years has happened to me twice). I think since they have little tires, the people that write reviews jump on the roll-over thing - wrongly in my opinion. I have noticed that many of the car experts writing reviews on cars don't know much. They will complain about one model of car and praise another and the difference between the two is the emblems pasted on it. They think having a good sounding stereo and a bunch of cup holders makes a good car. I like the fun of driving it and durability. They don't know about durability because they are always driving new stuff. I stop putting faith in car reviews over twenty years ago. Most of those critics don't know an alternator from a hubcap - How are they going to tell you what's good?

Comment

Aside from the rollover comment, I'd say that review was pretty on target. They were cheap, reliable, comfortable enough, and very practical. The interior is unrefined(c'mon, no heat through the dash vents?), but functional.

With the stock suspension I could see how it would feel like it was going to roll over, but I don't see it rolling in a situation that most other cars wouldn't. With narrow tires like that I'd expect them to break a bead before tripping the car.
                  OX SMASH!!

Comment

Originally posted by roycehof View Post
                    If Ford can't design a vehicle that will stay right side up if a tire fails, SHAME on them.
                    woah, easy, Sunshine. I was very close to this. I was involved in field investigation of tire failures and the resulting events. Like you said, all SUVs are prone to rollover. It had nothing to do with the vehicle design. There's a big difference between a blow out and a catastrophic failure. These tires were experiencing complete disintegration. Couple that with incompetent drivers, overloaded vehicles, underinflated tires, excessive speed and the defective tires, and you have a recipe for disaster. Let's stop this here, and if you (or anyone else) want to continue this dicussion, start a thread in the Off-Topic forum.
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Roll overs??? I've had mine sideways on black ice, and had the right rear wheel sheer off and drop the car on the bottom end of the strut, going 55mph (Well, at least that's what I told the cops, lol) and never had the slightest inkling the car was going to roll over. I'm not even sure, with the exception of gdawgs, that I've ever even seen a festiva that looked like it rolled over, tho I'm sure some have. Aside from that, the review is basically right, they are cheap little crap boxes that most of the driving public would not go near.

I'm just glad I'm not most of the driving public, 'cause it's killing me trying to find another one.
                      Last edited by batstiva; 06-02-2008, 10:08 PM.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Yeah, but just look at the amount of traction Quaddawg had when he had that rollover...For a Festiva with stock tires, it would have to have a high center of gravity to roll over IMO...Regardless, I've seen a video of a 3-series BMW rollover, but never new what was the cause...
                        The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

Love the sig Pocket Rocket. Anything can roll. I had my old partstiva up on two wheels. There's a long story... But anyway. It takes a LOT of g-force to push a festy over. Specially if you put wider tires on. And if your going fast enough around corners to roll, YOu should be at a track. With a roll cage. Hitting a deer is one thing. I have no pity for stupid people. And expect none when i do stupid things
                          Of course the red makes it go faster..

Comment

Working...
                          X