All Synthetic Oils The Same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Synthetic Oils The Same?

Here in Bellingham, WA my new home as of 2/4/08 I was at the local NAPA store recently when I'd changed the roll of tp on my STILKO oil filter, and hadn't quite enough scratch for the usual quart of MOBILE ONE, so got told that either the NAPA brand or their sale CASTROL "syntex" or whatever that is more accurately called of fully synthetic oil, each $4.99; are the exact same product, or reasonably enough like different brands of the same octane fuel was what I'd been expected to believe...except once I'd added the Castrol the seams all around the timing belt covers, etcetera had soon begun to ooze like never before so that I wonder "how" EXACTLY the same thing different fully synthetic brands of motor oil are?
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

no 2 oils are the same. every manufacturer uses different additives and formulas to make their oil so there are advantages and disadvanges to any oil. as for being fully synthetic, mobile 1 and castrol syntec and other similar oils are not actually fully synthetic. to get fully synthetic you have to buy something like motul and if you think 5 bucks a quart is bad dont even think about using these oils.

Comment

to answer your basic question; yes, all retail available synthetics should be compatible with one another.
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

so does anyone have any oil comparinson web sites? i have always ran mobil 1 but some of the import mags i read use like amsoil, royal purple, and there where a few more and they claim HP gains from them now i dunno if its BS or not i would like to see some good comparisons nothing is to good for the festi or mustang

Comment

try www.bobistheoilguy.com there is a forum there about all kinds of oils, greases and lubricants. has lots of info about the reformulated oils. it's a very interesting site.
          1960 willys pickup
          1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
          1989 festiva
          1990 festiva for parts
          1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

If you have oil oozing out around your timing belt covers you should fix your valve cover casket or cam seal. Maybe even the crank seal.
            sigpic
            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Not meaning to hijack this thread.. But question about synthetics. I know its a bad idea to run it in a car thats been run on normal for a long time, leaks etc. But what if you relplaced these seals/gaskets? which ones should you replace?
              Of course the red makes it go faster..

Comment

Working...
              X