Gas Mileage... what do you get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Mileage... what do you get?

With all the talk about gas prices our once diminutive cars are seemingly more valuable. I have a 40 mile commute to work everyday and many of my co-workers cars' get 25 mpg. My Festiva with a SOHC BP gets about 35-38 mpg. That's about 10 cents a mile with the current price of gas.

My question to you is what does your Festiva get stock - and/or with a swap?
    '92 Festiva: BP01

Hey fellow Mn'ite!

I pull 45-50mpg at all times, except winter, when it drops to 40-43mpg. I never drive over 65mph, and usually 55-60mph.

Brenton
    Because....45 MPG.

Comment

45-50 city
      50-60 hwy... bone stock 91 L
      hwy speed 60 max..=good mileage
      93L sold. First FESTY!
      91L blue monster "BP swapped!" Robbed of its Heart for other Festy!
      91GL blue bandit(thanks to sparky) Sold twice! lol
      89L (thanks again to sparky) "SCRAPPED without my permission!!!!:nono:
      93L Clean Green Machine! (Thanks to Sedat)-Sold to other member!
      89 Auto LX Wrecked and stripped. violin
      93GL Sold Too Soon!
      91GL BP powered, ALL OPTIONS! banana time

Comment

I'm getting around 48mpg out of my 89L automatic fuel injected festiva at 70-75 mph... The 15" wheels and tires seemed to get me another 3-4 mpg after I installed them... Now I just have to get the A/C put back on and it will be a great little car... oh yeah, the gas mileage should go up even more once i get the intermittent miss out of the car... tried everything, o2 sensor, dist, cap and wires, plugs, coil, fuel filter... nothing works... even changed the injectors... only thing left is the maf but heck, i can unplug it and the car still runs the same...

Comment

^^are you sure you meant to type 48 and not 38. Just wondering because I have an auto that I have to get back on the road but I have never even pulled 40 and it runs great. I do not remember anybody getting into the 40's with an auto...oh by the way, mine is also an 89L
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I just checked mine tonight on my 88L (Cherry Bomb) with 4 speed. Even with the valve/compresion problem on the #3 cylinder at idle, and a lot of in-town driving, I got about 38. Everything stock. Once I figure out and fix the #3 cyl. problem, it should improve to about 42-ish IMO.
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
            88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
            88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
            06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

Here my MPG average on each Festiva I owned:

Festiva 1993 L B3 Man 5 sp 52 HWY MPG

Festiva 1992 GL B3 Auto 3 sp w/P.S. 45's MPG HWY - Yes it's 45MPG+, you guys won't believe me.

Festiva 1988 LX B6 Carb Man 5 sp 40 MPG HWY - Not the great MPG but darn fast.

Festiva 1989 L-Plus Early EFI B3 Auto 3 sp 32 HWY MPG - Faster than my 1992 GL but sucks more gas..

Comment

I must own the worst gas guzzling 5 speed Festy out there. I usually get around 38-40 mostly highway driving 60mph.Its a 88lx carby.
                1988 p.o.s. (228,000 and still going)

Comment

1993L with Aspire trans and 14inch wheels tops 40mpg average 38mpg on highway.
                  Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
                  99 Dodge Caravan SE
                  95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                  94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
                  78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
                  78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
                  03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
                  95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
                  95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
                  95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

Originally posted by smithtaka4n1 View Post
                    I must own the worst gas guzzling 5 speed Festy out there. I usually get around 38-40 mostly highway driving 60mph.Its a 88lx carby.
                    Thats still good mileage only a few new cars do better.
                    Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
                    99 Dodge Caravan SE
                    95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                    94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
                    78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
                    78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
                    03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
                    95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
                    95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
                    95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

88L did 38-40 hwy @70mph

90L does 40-42 hwy @70mph
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

93 GL with A/C running 80 plus 30mpg, normally gets 35-36
                        89L 4 speed 42mpg.
                        Brian
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                        :fish:

Comment

Mine done good before...Dunno what it does now since I changed the motor in it......& should probably wait to find out if I AT ALL CAN...

HOWEVER just for the record I called the logal junk yard to ask about a grill, & the guys working there said they done crushed all their festys but one & the grill on it was broken........THEN just the other day I ran into the owner of the junkyard at a local gas station & asked him "WTF was he thinking crushing his Festiva's" he told me he had 1 motor & 1 grill put up & that he was going to get $600 outta the motor & $40 outta the grill or they were NOT LEAVING....because of gas prices & "...Everyone wanting to rebuild those Festivas..."

You gotta love people who all of a sudden try to up prices on JUNKYARD parts because of gas prices

Comment

Just filled up today ($4.42....ouch!).
                            Getting about 35 mpg ave ('88 L+, 4-speed, carb), but i attribute this rather low number to almost all city driving here in Riverside CA. Also i guess my clutch could use adjusted (don't know if that would help or not)
                            If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                            Mark S.

Comment

I'm wondering about the folks with the 14 & 15" tires reporting in the high forties. Don't the larger diameter tires throw off their OD's?

FWIW - '91 5spd, 43-46 mpg on almost a complete diet of two lane highways at 62mph

B
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

Comment

Working...
                              X