Brake line failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake line failure

I lost brakes causing me to blow thru a red traffic signal. No traffic so all is OK. No skid marks on the road. Found some elsewhere though!! The problem was a rusted steel brake line at the point where the line passes from the engine compartment into the left front wheel well. There is a 90 degree down bend of the line just before the flex-line bracket. The rupture occurred on the inside of the bend. I've been driving the car a year now and foolishly have never checked the integrity of the system.

I'll fabricate a new line or two if I can find a metric double flare tool locally. Not sure how tight everything is rusted together. Fittings at the proportioning valve are clean.

I guess my point is, a small wire brush, an inspection mirror, and a little time would have save the cost of new skivvies.

BTW, the dual circuit system didn't work. I should have had right front and left rear brakes.

Had the same problem exact same loaction!
    Replaced both front lines.
    If you've never changed the front flex lines, this is an excellent time to do so!
    Additionally, it will save you the trouble of breaking the connection between the hard line and flex line.
    Which if it has not been broken loose before, might be next to impossible undo without damaging them.
    Be advised the left one is a real ....uh... bear yeah bear.
    It runs behind the fuel filter and is just difficult to get to.

We didn't have much breaking force either.
    But I thought the dual circuit would give rear brakes if I lost a front line and vise versa.
    I myself suppliment what I did have with the emergency brake.
    Manually engaging without locking it!

Just one more suggestion!
    If you got more than 100-150K miles I'd give some thought to replacing the calpers while your at it!
    This way you know your entire braking system up front is good to go for another 100K plus miles.
    Could save cost of skivvies in the future!
    Also, way easier to install fresh clean hardware than rusty stuff.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to find a donor Aspire to make the upgrade. Like you say, all new parts just makes a lot of sense. The proportioning valve must be a dual valve to satisfy the needs of the "crossed" system. Six pipes going in and/or out of the valve body.

The two brake lines carrying fluid to the rear are pretty rusty too. So, a major system refit might be in store for Blue '90.

Comment

SAE 3/16 double flare is an almost exact match for the 5mm line in the festy.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

wow, a really good reminder for us all to check our brake lines. These are the type of parts that nobody looks at until they fail, but failure of this system can be deadly! I'm glad nobody was in that intersection!!
          The only rusty line i had on my DeathEgg was right in front of the LR wheel, just near the gas tank.. luckily i saw brake fluid leaking before i drove it.
          I will go and check my lines tomorrow in the location you mentioned.
          If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
          Mark S.

Comment

I blew my brakes in a parking lot. Yeah check them out when your under doing an oil change
            It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
              SAE 3/16 double flare is an almost exact match for the 5mm line in the festy.
              Do they make 3/16 in stainless?
              wonder how well it takes to bending and flairing then too?
              Last edited by Pu241; 06-11-2008, 09:54 PM. Reason: bad typing
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

yes, 3/16 stainless is available. If it's properly annealed, you should have no trouble bending or flairing it.
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
                X