Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Incredible Festy...with pics!

Howdy ya'll,

Just back from NYC with a metro in tow. I knew a festy would tow one from the last trip out west, handled things with no problems...even 40mpg!

My only concern was cops. Only saw two the whole trip, once in NJ (too busy chasing mobsters I guess) and the other in Michigan. They sped past me in the fast lane without so much as a second glance.

I'm convinced if the festiva was a 4wd, it would be the perfect vehicle.

Brenton
    Because....45 MPG.

Wow, thats quite a trip. Glad it went well. Looks like you're home safe and sound. That car can't weigh much if any more than a Festy. I don't think you were doing anything wrong anyway. How fast were able to go and feel comfortable with? Do you have auto or manual in your Festy?

Is the metro a keeper? Looks pretty clean for a NYC car. Rustwise I mean.
    Cool.
    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

bah, thats nothing! I've flat-towed a jeep before with my fest! :p

at any rate, nice score
      89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
      RIP 90LX

Comment

My festy is a 5-spd. I was doing 50-55mph on the trip. I think the metro is only a couple hundred pounds lighter than the festy. My brother seems to think it's against the law to tow a car with the same size car, but I see trucks and vans doing it all the time, this is only on a smaller scale. It works fine, especially once rolling on the freeway. The one thing I would recommend, take corners slowly, like pulling into parking lots, etc. and keep the tire pressure up in the rear.

Did I mention I still pulled 40mpg!...

The metro is a pure profit endeavor. I can hardly believe it's rust free.

I love there cars. Metros are for selling, Festivas are for driving (and towing)...
        Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Amazing! I wouldnt have believed it without the pics. Glad the trip went well.
          Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
          - Unknown
          I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
          - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
          - Bumper Sticker

Comment

no, it's not against the law to flat tow anything with anything. Wanna try to tow an 18wheeler with a moped? No problem. But, most states will require that BOTH vehicles have valid registration (tags) AND insurance. However, most police don't give you a second look, if you're not doing anything stupid.
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by MONSOON View Post
              Amazing! I wouldnt have believed it without the pics. Glad the trip went well.
              c'mon, now! You've never seen the infamous Uncle Fester towing pic?

Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

An econobox towing an econobox!!! Gotta love it!! Bet you got some looks on the way home, eh?

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Pic this

Mississippi

Fully loaded pulpwood truck being pulled down the side of the interstate with a chain by a

Granada!!

David

Comment

Have you ever towed a festiva with metro ?

"Festiva: hands down the best over-all vehicle ever sold in the US"

I concur !!
                    sigpic
                    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Fresh, I never have towed with a metro. I have had approx. 1000 #'s in one once. I think the metro would do it, but not nearly as well as the other way around. I find the festiva hardly knows it's back there at 50-55mph.
                      Because....45 MPG.

Comment

That's awesome, and I used to be told that Jack would never be able to tow anything.

Someday, I'll get it a hitch and a small trailer for Dusty (motorbike), and I'll be set!

The Little Jack - 1993 L 5-Speed Manual

Comment

Originally posted by festyxfi View Post
                          ...The metro is a pure profit endeavor. I can hardly believe it's rust free.

I love there cars. Metros are for selling, Festivas are for driving (and towing)...
                          I concur, I have had many of both and I am still amazed at how much more the Metro$ consistently bring in over the Festivas or Aspires.
                          -------

XFi

Comment

XFi, true that! It's strange, the festiva is arguably a better car, but people still over-look them in favor of the metro. That's okay, I've got plenty of metros to sell...
                            Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                              c'mon, now! You've never seen the infamous Uncle Fester towing pic?

Yes I have and Id completely forgotten about it.
                              Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                              - Unknown
                              I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                              - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                              - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Working...
                              X